Top dead centre

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
warhog
Inactive member

Top dead centre

Post by warhog »

Any advice on the best way to find tdc on my 45? I want to try to set the valves this winter and while I don't think the adjustments should be too difficult, I know they are dependent on the timing being set properly... is it as simple as the old screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and crank til it stops going up or is that too archaic?
Any help would be appreciated.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Top dead centre

Post by dirtydistrict »

hi Warhog, don't own WL but no more difficult than screwdriver hi technologie; you can also check the mark on your flywheel; tdc is indicated; be sure the tappets are on the right position (release) for the cylinder concerned.
warhog
Inactive member

Post by warhog »

thanks dirty- I have the original service manual for the bike but they say find tdc, then jump to the next step... apparantly assuming the screwdriver hitech knowledge is universal :) thanks for the input.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Hi warhog(great name!!!)
Go take a look at 45's "new" wl ..it'll blow your mind . Haggis http://www.45partsdepot.com
warhog
Inactive member

Post by warhog »

hey haggis

ouch! those bikes are awesome! any feedback from anyone who has bought on of those kits? If they run and and perform like they look... I love my bike but I'm 6'3" and 230... the 20 hp my 45 is pumping out (thats downhill mind you) gets a little sedate! lol.

Return to “Motor”