1948 engine questions

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panomania
Inactive member

1948 engine questions

Post by panomania »

I have recently purchased a basket pan with the motor disassembled due to a crankcase grenade. The case was busted from where something had gotten jammed into the breather. (but has been repaired) The motor had two left flywheels... Ive heard that was a rpm trick from the fiftys. Anyhow I purchased a s&s stock bore stroker kit to do away with the 2 left flywheels. Here's the question. In this box of parts I found the push rods that were suppose to have been in this motor. They were non adjustable! Thats not right is it? Did these models have adjustable tappets? Anyhow, 2 push rods were bent. If my parts had the lifters with them, I would know the answer to one of my questions. Also, did this motor use a cam thrust washer like later models? This motor had one. And my last question is, where on the net can I see a exploded view of this motor? Thanks for any help, and yes im gonna get a manual soon, Panomania
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 1948 engine questions

Post by Cotten »

Dontcha mean two right flywheels?
Two lefts won't fit in the cases, nor have an oilhole for the pinion.
And yes, although the originals had hydraulics at the top of the rod, they were nearly always replaced with solid rods, because the adjustor is on the tappet.
Yes, it had a cam thrustwasher, but no tanged washer.
You've got your work cut out for you.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: 1948 engine questions

Post by weezeo »

On the cam thrust washer you will have to do the feeler gauge thing with the lifter base out of it and the timing cover tightened up to see what the end play is. Now you can space at both ends so look if its spaced at the inner case also and the washers come in .050 & .055 sizes You will need to get a manual to see what the tolerances are for end play. Don't know off hand but the "BOOK" tells all...

Return to “Motor”