No compression?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mogman
Inactive member

No compression?

Post by mogman »

I have noticed a strange phenomenon several times with my Panhead, At times it seems as if it has no compression with 5-6 or more kicks with no resistance, It happened the other day at the bar and a 39 UL driver was sitting there and said he has the same thing happen to him from time to time, What is up with this???
Craig
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I would check your clutch adjustment as the plates may be slipping or have oil on them causing the issue.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I have seen it before.
My belief is that it is a valve or two sticking, then coming loose.
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

I'm pretty sure it's not the clutch, just went through all that with the rebuild and it has not tried to slip at all pulling my fat butt around.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Its probably a valve thing. That used to happen quite a bit on my bike before I replaced the original "oil can" hydraulic push rods with solids. Since the switch it hasn't happened again.

With the original hyraulic push rods the exact opposite thing would happen just as often. After 2 or 3 kicks the engine would build up so much compression that you couldn't kick it over at all. If the valves don't open and close, at the right time, it could go either way.

mike
Joe G.

Post by Joe G. »

I have had the same problem with my Indian, I always figured it was the valves.

Joe
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

I was thinking that somehow the lifters were "pumping up" and holding the valves open, (this also may explain some of my starting problems)I am at my first oil change and am going to AHR 60W synthetic oil, it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. With the hydraulic lifters if a valve did momentarily stick open the lifter would try to take up the slack and then be too tight. I would be disappointed if the valves are sticking as the shop that rebuilt my heads have a very good rep. and the oiling system should be working correctly......
Craig :shock:
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

How common of an occurrence is it? the valves sticking.
Please post here if it has happened to you. If it happens regularly, and under what conditions it happens to you. Hydraulic valve train or solid?
Does your engine run well at all rpms?

It has happened to me several times in the last two years. Usually when the engine is warm---not hot. You know----When you are not sure if you want to use the choke or not.
It usually happens when engine is warm---I should not have used choke and did.----Key off 1 compression stroke with choke--Choke off,retard spark, key on, kick hard. Back fire-- Look slowly for compression for another kick--none to be had. Key off--Hard kick with no compression--Compression returns. Three or four kicks with the key on, timer retarded no choke wide open throttle usually gets her going.
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

I would say that's pretty close on the conditions, usually warm an hour or so after shutting it down, not sure if it is always after it farts but always after it has failed to start! and lately that is becoming more common :cry: :cry: Otherwize the bike is running perfectly.
Craig
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

AHH let's think about this a second or two. The cylinders grow about .040 when hot (I read this somewhere) at that time the lifters take up the slack, then the cylinders cool down and the valves get too tight, this does not explain it all but may be contributing to the problem... and may be why it farted in the first place!!
Craig
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

I even took a bucket of lifters and hand matched them for the least amount of leak down, maybe some leak down would be a good thing!!
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I would think that if that were the case, then all of them would do it all of the time.
Mine is not hydraulic and it looses compression---very rarely. Only when there is an audience. LOL
wantapanrealbad
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by wantapanrealbad »

Let's see what Cotten says. I have a hunch he knows exactly what it is...

Cotten, you out there?

Joe G.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Sounds like they are all female to me.

...Cotten
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

HUH???
Got it---I'm a little slow these days. :-)

Return to “Motor”