Engine whine

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
49txpan

Engine whine

Post by 49txpan »

I have a 49 Pan with a 12v generator. I have had the bike a couple of months and do notice a whining noise that sounds like it is coming from the left side near the primary and front cylinder area. My twin cam friends comment about the noise. My local Panhead shop said they all do that. Would anybody have any ideas where to start debugging? I am wonder if it could be the primary or the generator. Any help is appreciated.

Russ
Mike C
Bikes: 62 pan

Re: Engine whine

Post by Mike C »

My mechanic says two different generator drive gears exist and that one's noisier than the other. It's
possible you have the noisy gear.
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

The way to check it is unbolt your generator pull it back so you disengage the gears and fire it up. it's going to get messy because of the oil slinging out the hole so don't let it run to long if the noise goes away then you know its the generator ;) I have always enjoyed that Gen. whine I don't know why but when you rev it and the sound of the pipes fall away and you hear the generator whine come down
Guess it's just me ;)
49txpan

Post by 49txpan »

Thanks a bunch, I will give it a try.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

YES there are 2-gears that will fit & work!1 is a 13-tooth, the other is a 14 tooth. I run the 14,I also had a whine in it but it wasnt the gear!-(as I put a 13 in & no change!. The answer is the gasket thickness matierial!--NOW your prety much limited here on that --(always keep the old gaskets that people dont want)With tightening-up overtime they get smaller in thickness!. Sometimes a new gasket will work just fine -no-whine., sometimes I had to add a used 1 to a new 1 & all was good!. Sometimes you have to put an old one thats been around for awhile!-YES it works. The Whine is due to how the teeth fitment is into another gear thats ALL!.---JUST my 2---oh-yea, make sure the genny mating surfaces are clean & square.AND make sure that it is a HD genny,not one of those jap ones!(custom WHO?).---GOOD-LUCK GUYS---wheels-up in 4th & wide-open! :twisted:

Return to “Motor”