Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Oil fouling

Post by King »

Hi All

My plugs seem to be oil fouling. Even after a long run they are have a black coating that is slightly oily. Bike starts a bit hard but runs great. I had a friend follow me for a few miles and he saw no white smoke even with hard acceleration and deceleration. I haven't done a compression test but it seems to be OK as on the compression stroke it will almost take my 200 some pounds on the kicker.

Bike is a 51FL with STD heads and about 2000 miles on the heads and a top end job. Bendix carb and Andrews #1 cam. Running the mid range Evo spark plugs.

What is a good diagnostic path here? Could I be running the wrong plug?

Thanks

King
63panhead

Re: Oil fouling

Post by 63panhead »

King,
I am/was having the same problem. Make sure that you're crankcase vent is not plugged. Mine was and I was burning oil and leaking oil at the cylinder bases. The oil pressure was just way too high. My plugs are the same you described and I have not changed them yet. The first time I did change them, my pan was first kick every time. My bike was also sluggish before I cleared the clog.
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Hi 63panhead

I need to check this out. I've noticed a bit less oil drainage from the primary case, so?? Where was your blockage?

Thanks

King
63panhead
Bikes: 63 FLH
82 FLH

Post by 63panhead »

There was a seal installed on the inside of the breather shaft. I removed that. My chain oiler is turned off since I have a primary belt. Here's a link to my thread with pictures:

Leaking/burning oil
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

63panhead

Thanks for the thread reference. I doubt I have a similar problem as I've had the bike for over 30 years. But i just had some work done to install the new cam and possibly the breather gear got put back a tooth or two off. I noticed a bit of oil leaking out of the pan covers also. So i think I need to check the gear case.

King
King
Inactive member

Post by King »

Checked the breather and its chuffing away like an old steam engine, so definately not blocked. I guess I'll proceed to a compression test. Any other Ideas?

King
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

To try to determine if the plugs are oil coated or gas sooted:

Put a gentle heatlamp on them for a while. If they dry to soot, then it's not oil. If it stays greasy, then it can only be oil.

Return to “Motor”