Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Compression: here we go again!

Post by BigMike »

I thought I had the bugs worked out of my '64, but after checking the ignition out, verifying good spark, etc, I've found something that has me really pissed off. (still only cough gag and puke) I took a compression test, it takes 3 or 4 kicks to get gauge up to 120lb. I thought maybe the hydraulic lifters were sticking or something. I dropped in a set of "mechanical adaptors" and set them to 0 lash like solids. No change. I hope that I didn't lose a top ring land on the pistons. (KB Hyper) I set the end gap correctly last year when I did the top end. Good clean oil, good pressure and no overheating. Heads were done by superior machine in Wisconsin. I have a feeling that I'm not going to be happy when I dig into it. I'm going to be losing my shop in the next month and need to find another, I really don't need to have the f-ing Pan apart or down right now...... Could a trashed cam (on the intake side) cause this? everything seemed to head south when I replaced the battery and a local guy used a light to set the timing. (I had set it up by eye with the mark on the flywheel and it seemed to be decent) So much for trying to get it exact.
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Re: Compression: here we go again!

Post by rigidpanman »

i dont think 3 or 4 kicks is all that bad
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

3 or 4 kicks to get compression, not to start. SOB still won't start.
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

damn,that do suck.
dan

Post by dan »

I'm not sure 3-4 kicks is a problem. The motor only goes about 1 revolution when you kick it over, and you need two revolutions to go through a complete cycle to ensure the valves are closed for the compression gage to read.
If the cyclinders are within 10% of each other, thats good. I don't remamber what the cranking pressure should be, but don't think 120 is horrible.
I'd look for something simple, like the timing, plugs, carb, fuel level, etc. before pulling the cam, etc..
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Some cams with overlap may never show full compression when kicked, but 120 sounds fine. They will start as low as 50 or 60!

If there are no noises, nothing serious is broken.

When all other variables are eliminated (vacuum leaks, valve adjustment, timing, etc.,), then look for causes of plug fouling. (A plug need not appear fouled to have serious resistance.)
A weak coil, resistor plug wires, corrosion within rubber boots, fuel additives, and even a poor groundstrap can hinder clean fire at the plugs. And of course, a fat carb adjustment will eventually 'insulate' electrodes after they have cooled.

Good luck!
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

<panic mode off> I'll go over everything once more.
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

>sheepish look< sonofabitch! all the headbolts had worked loose, had about 10lbs. torque on every one of them. Cheap fix!

moral: when you hear the sound of hooves, don't assume that it's Zebras.
dj

Post by dj »

"moral: when you hear the sound of hooves, don't assume that it's Zebras."

So much for horsepower there BigMike. Yea....easy fix! Good luck!

Return to “Motor”