Engine gasket glue

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hd74

Engine gasket glue

Post by hd74 »

Description: Anyone got some suggestions on a good gasket sealer for an overhaul.

Hi! Anyone got some suggestions on a good gasket sealer for an overhaul. I would really like to get a good seal this time around. Thanks for any suggestions.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Engine gasket glue

Post by VintageTwin »

Use 3-Bond for the motor halves. Use Hylo-mar or PST (pipe sealant w/ teflon) for threaded appurtenances. Only put Hylo-mar or PST (Loctite product) on 3/4's of the thread and leave the first thread bare of any sealant. Never use teflon tape on an antique Harley, or any Harley.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

HD74!
"Gasgacinch" can't be beat.
If you cannot find it anywhere else, try a V-TWIN dealer.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Vintage Twin: Thanks for your reply. Which Three Bond do you recommend #1104 or #1211. Is Permatex hylomar the one you are use on threads? What are you using for pan covers, which seems to be a pain to seal?
Thanks.

hd74
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Uhh..(grins sheepishly) you got me on the 3-Bond number. But let me know which one is correct. Yep, Permatex® Hylomar® on the threads. If they want you to leave the first thread bare and only put 3/4's of sealant on the shank, it will say so on the label. "Gasgacinch" could be as good.
I don't use any sealant on the Pan cover gaskets, if I did and I used Permatex, I would only use it on the front and back gaskets on the (over the exhaust spigot) lower edge of the head because that's what is being asked to be an "oil swimming pool". I lift my Pan covers with coat hangers and the gas tanks off. I scrape the heads bare of any sealant and replace my cover gaskets when I can't stand the oil seepage any more. My "D" ring screws (missing a couple from stripped out holes) are always working loose. If I used Permatex on these gaskets I would always have to be scraping the stuff off. I guess I could use Permatex on the bottom of the gasket for the lower edge of each front and back head and use Loctite® on my "D" ring screws...I don't know....those cover gaskets get squished after they've been on for awhile, makes the screws loose, you know you can't go and put alot of torque on those screws..threads tapped directly into aluminum..right on the edge of the head...It's a personal choice, unless someone tells me better.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The secret to sealing pan gaskets is to grind the pans flat.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

All..righty..that's good to know. Now, which is better thin cork gaskets (pre- thick aluminum"D"-ring) or thick cork gaskets (aluminum"D"-ring era)? or thick paper gaskets (I don't know what era, but I have 4 sets).
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The thicker the gasket, the more it allows the pan flange to warp from the screw torque.
Think about it.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

I have a James gasket set, which has a thin set and a thick set of gaskets. I just scraped off a thin one from the head, so go with your theory Cotten! What's your favorite assembly glue?

hd74
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

First off, be aware that some James gaskets such as for oilpumps have a dry adhesive already. If they are shiney, assemble them dry.
Otherwise, I prefer Gasgacinch, as it cleans up easily, disassembles easily, and does not gook up the appearance of a restoration. I use it for thread sealing as well.
There are lots of fine adhesives,... just shitcan sillycones, and only use Yamabond4 if you intend to tear it apart every couple of years.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I usually don't believe in a lot of adhesives, but my partner in our diesel shop is "Mr. Glue". This time, I used the locktite black silicone that comes in the "cheese wiz" dispenser. I used it on the valve covers, lifter block gaskets, and the exhaust pipe nipples. I used the thick valve cover gaskets, because when I set the valve covers on w/ the thin gaskets, they touch the rocker arm blocks??? I had the valve covers off 3 times last summer. I used "high tack" to put them together initially. No leaks, but what a bitch to clean. I didn't use anything the next 2 times, and they weeped oil almost from the start. The motor has about 400 miles on it now and not a drop. Will keep an eye on the screws. It seems that after you go over them a few times they stay tight. When you pull the valve covers after about a year, those thick gaskets are paper thin. I started using hi temp silicone on the exhaust nipples of my Sporty years ago. Seems to make the pipes stay in place better and stops the black marks where the pipes are slitted.

Return to “Motor”