S&S P-Series Panhead Motor & '48 V-Twin Kit Bike

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

S&S P-Series Panhead Motor & '48 V-Twin Kit Bike

Post by VintageTwin »

S&S ANNOUNCES NEW ENGINES AND FRAMES

LA CROSSE, WI (October 02, 2007) S&S Cycle Inc. is pleased to announce that orders fro the new X-Wedge and P-Series engines are being taken right now.

The all-new S&S P-Series engine represents a trip back in time for styling with all of the modern reliability you have come to expect from an S&S Proven Performance engine. Available in 93ci, 93ci high compression and 103ci high compression versions, the P-Series is not a reproduction engine, but rather a modern version of the classic engine. Updated oiling, valve train and case design negate all of the issues of the past and allow for cross country reliability in their place. The P-Series will be available in generator and alternator/generator designs to fit your classic or custom build. Orders placed now will begin shipping within seven days of this announcement. The P-Series 93ci Alternator/Generator P/N 106-0821 will have an MSRP of $8195.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pics not available. It's not 74", but that's a pretty good price for a Pan motor made in America. 4-fin cam cover, STD style heads (Shovel bolt pattern exhaust), and automatic distributor.
Now, if some company would only make a exact replicas of a 1947-65 Panhead, no emblem, tank and foot shift gas tanks........we'd be rolling :!:
Check out a pic at:
http://www.flatheadpower.com/tech/viewt ... =13&t=9257
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

VT they do, there in V-Twin's catalog, tank and foot shift tanks are in J & P's catalog, you can even get modern tank fittings for Pingle gas valves and 3.5 or 5gal tanks for hand shifts.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Sorry, but none of those are replica. The pop-up reserves don't work, they're too fat, not right, the stock crossover lines don't fit and we don't like 'em.
I was speaking to the lead small parts retailer in the U.S., from his position at the bottom of parts-Hell, about them being called replica. That's not going to fly in the future. The new manufacturer can do better. We're on the job of tasking it out.
Build a Pan kit, we'll be around to get you through it.
Pantony
Inactive member

Post by Pantony »

I never built a pan kit, my 48 was all original; A 37 Big Flat is next
Attachments
photo-ffadult-r40-s1-39351621_53696_22327531_main.jpg
photo-ffadult-r40-s1-39351621_53696_22327531_main.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Very nice. You'll get a lot of flat help here.
Pantony
Inactive member

Post by Pantony »

It should be fun, the 48 was done before I joined this sight, and since it's been since the mid 70's since I played around with one it will take a little scratchin, but it'l be fun
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

My pop up reserve works fine and the crossover line fits perfectly and I have a 48 pan kit out of V-Twins catalog.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I'm the guest by the way.
I have about 12,000 miles or so on it now.
I bought the kit in the fall of 2001.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

My pop up reserve works fine and the crossover line fits perfectly and I have a 48 pan kit out of V-Twins catalog.
Sidecar

I'm the "guest" by the way.
I have about 12,000 miles or so on it now.
I bought the kit in the fall of 2001.
Welcome back. We sure would like to see some pics. When you post a pic, maybe you could mention an area where you had a problem in assembly.
That would help.
My CCI 3.5 gal. tank pop up might work too. I'll test it.
A picture taken from the angle, from the front of the right tank, capturing the crossover line going in back of, or in front of the two frame down-tubes would be nice. Then a closeup (from shut-off valve level), of the front of the left tank, so that we could see the rod popped up in the fuel-open position would be cool.
Is that the black '48 in the gallery with the four-fin cam cover?
Post some pics. No flash. No sidelight. Only overhead or front reflected light off white cardboard.
If you post them 640 x 480, they'll be the prefect size and be right there for us to see. If you post a huge pic, it will be a scroller and wreck the Topic for easy viewing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I stand corrected. I never did get the tanks from V-Twin. They were backordered for so long a local shop ordered them for me from somewhere else. I don't rememeber where they came from.

I have a steel line with a loop in the center running between the tanks. The petcock is brass. I was told by a local guy that these never work. It's been working since the spring of 02. Screwed all the way in for off. Turned all the way out till no more threads, then back one turn for the main. All the way out and pulled up for the reserve position.

I have a 94 geezer glide torn apart right now with stuff all over the place. I'll see if I can roll the 48 out and get pics of the line and petcock.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Some pics would be great. I'd be amazed to see a repop 3.5 gallon fuel tank that's not a CCI. Could that even be possible? I'll know it from the shift gate indents.
Thanks for getting back with the details.
You don't need to do all the no-flash-reflected light-stuff, but if you do, then you need to use a tripod and timer-shutter.
Just snap a pic with a flash and make it 640 x 480, or shoot it on "basic" setting in your camera and not "hi-rez" and you won't have to re-size it at imageShack. (I'm talking to an audience, not at you Sidecar).
Like an episode of "S.V.U".... :wink: ...social commentary subtly written into "squad room" group conversation dialog.
I found my CCI crossover line. It looks like it goes behind the down tubes. I thought it had to go in front, but that's the knuckle tanks..wait a minute.. :shock:. ..I was wrong, the CCI tanks have aligned shut off holes, but the fuel bungs are wider. It's the Knuckle tanks that have shut off holes way out of alignment, plus their fuller, like the CCI Pan tanks, and their fuel bungs are wider too, or misplaced - and they have that front of the down tube crossover. Seems like.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

VT wrote:I found my CCI crossover line. It looks like it goes behind the down tubes. I thought it had to go in front, but that's the knuckle tanks..wait a minute.. :shock:. ..I was wrong, the CCI tanks have aligned shut off holes, but the fuel bungs are wider. It's the Knuckle tanks that have shut off holes way out of alignment, plus their fuller, like the CCI Pan tanks, and their fuel bungs are wider too, or misplaced - and they have that front of the down tube crossover. Seems like.
Damn, I guess my previous post died in the ether. What I was trying to say was I just installed a set a of V-Twin 3.5 hand shift tanks with original-style shut off. Here's what I found: The tanks had a pin hole leak, which was TIG'd up nicely.

- The tanks themselves didn't fit quite right, had to "clearance" them a bit around the frame, but that might because of the way the wiring was run.

- The shut off rod was not aligned as delivered (as were a lot of the factory ones), but I managed to realign it without using the special tool, just a lot of small adjustments and a lot of patience.

- The x-over line that was "correct" in the book for mine ('49) was similar to the one you showed above. It fit, but looked like hell outside the frame, so I ordered a later model one that used a coil in between the frame and the heads, which fit well after some tweaking. Used the stock style thin copper (bronze?) washers, bolted it all up and it worked perfectly, no leaks at all. Only 200 or so miles so far, but it seems to be working just fine.

-The tank to strainer line was a bit short for my taste, but that might be because I'm using a CV carb right now. Might fit better when I get the Linkert on there, we'll see.

-As a side note, they sell an accessory chrome "extension" for the shut off knob. Ironically, it's a different thread and pitch to the after market knob, so it won't work. Mine's on a shelf.

-Kuda
'49 panchop
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

As a side note, they sell an accessory chrome "extension" for the shut off knob. Ironically, it's a different thread and pitch to the after market knob, so it won't work. Mine's on a shelf.
Yeah, sounds you got alot of "right", with only one item so "wrong" you couldn't use it. Not too bad a ratio for repop. :lol:
Sounds like you have the pioneer spirit and brah :!: :!: :!: that's what it takes....to get it all rolling down the road, with brakes that will stop you.
Good descriptions - Info we can use.
The tank to strainer line will fit once you put the Linkert on. I dig the functioning pop-up reserve. I'd rather have the worn-to-brass-knuckled knob anyway. Classic. Glad to hear your brass flat-washers work. Cotten said Linkert bowl washers work too. Wonder if using thicker Linkert bowl washers will interfere with the rod seating action?
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Re: S&S P-Series Panhead Motor & '48 V-Twin Kit Bike

Post by stroker93 »

The new S&S P motor is a newly designed motor as stated ,,but they do not use a STD style head..The motor is basically an evo when it comes to the oiling system, this set up is also on their new shovel motors. The new P heads are their own design, use all shovel valves and sprimgs..The thing is the roller rocker armsand the lifter stools, the rockers are from the shovel. To gain more ift you could use ones from an evo,,the lifter stools are newly designed for S&S heads only,,,,not able to use with other brands...The motor sounds like an evo,,,not a pan,,,te only screw up I see is the poorly shaped combustion chamber..
Dave
VintageTwin

Re: S&S P-Series Panhead Motor & '48 V-Twin Kit Bike

Post by VintageTwin »

One day, someone will buy a replica Pan motor from V-Twin, pull it apart and document everything it took (if anything at all) to make it run. Strange no one ever has. Not one person in the entire world.
Some people like performance and I'm sure the S&S Pan motor. S&S has to make corked & compliant motors. Their customers are companies like Big Bear Chop and others that mainstream bikes to the public.
Only the "garage builder" guy, is going to make a V-Twin Linkert fed motor roll. STD is one of those "garage builder" suppliers. Both of those companies are are lifeline to the past.

Return to “Motor”