Power Output from a Pan

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jamiefixit
Bikes: 51 Pan. 72 Econoline.

Power Output from a Pan

Post by jamiefixit »

Hi All,

I just put an S&S Super E carb on my 51 Pan and had the dyno test done on it to get the jetting right. Ended up with .076 main jet and a .028 idle and power readings of 40hp and 39ft/lbs torque. Anyone know whether that's reasonable or not or what a stocker is supposed to put out, I'm very happy with the ride. It's got Andrews J cams an unbaffled 2 into 1 and a bigger K&N air filter and electronic auto-advance points... Thought I'd share in case anyone else has similar setup and needs a rough guide. It runs a tiny bit rich.

Jamie.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Power Output from a Pan

Post by panhead »

Here you can find the original specifications: https://www.hydra-glide.net/kb/inf_panhead_facts.php
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Jamie---A .076 on the main just baffles me.With such a mild (J) cam & 2 to 1 ex./How black are your plugs?--Im running a S&S-E--& stopped when I got .070 on the main/I could of gone lower probably .066/But I like to run slightly Rich.The other jetting is stock.It had a .074 when I started & It just DUMPED FUEL at throttle rolls.I can understand the HP level--Thats about right for a J or #1-Andrews-off a dyno on a OEM pan.A stock FLH cam would raise both HP & Bottom up some.BUT .076 on the MAIN is very puzzling.If its stroked to 84 or better I can see it.-(Are you sure your manifold is SEALED COMPLETELY?)Also are the plugs looking the same when you pull them out?-How much RPM before you let-off did they take you to?---Just curious-----Richie
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I agree. I have a .072 main jet on my 88-inch shovelhead. I can't believe your motor is 'tuned' with a .076 main.
I'm sure you bubble-tested the manifold, too, right?
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

We always ran a 072 or 074 when I lived in Illinois, which is about sea level. I have an 070 in S&S carbs here in Colo at 5000 feet. I think your jet is too big...
VPH-D
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

Well I'm going by what the dyno guy said and he stuck an exhaust gas analyser up the tailpipe and ran it on a rolling road, something he does every day. I've not looked at the plugs yet to see how they colour up. But I also have not done much higher rev riding since getting it done. ie only around town. So maybe I'll do a bit of motorway and look after. The plugs were fouling previously I think because I was using too larger pilot jet. It seems happy now. I haven't bubble tested the manifold because it starts basically first kick...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I think the output sounds about right. H-D was always very optimistic on its power ratings, as well as all the rest of the manufacturers. I can't speak for the S&S carb as I don't use them and never understood why anyone would on a vintage bike. To me all that stuff is a bit of "lipstick on a pig". I like performance as much as the next guy, which is why my modern stuff does not say H-D on it...
dbanana
Bikes: HD

Post by dbanana »

in my stock 74" engine (.020 over) with an S&S super e shorty I am running a .0295 intermediate and a .074 main. plugs are perfect light tan color, pulls very well, and the lipsticked pig got 48.5 miles/gal.on our last trip.(running from sea level to 1000 feet)
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Is the engine in question an EL or an FL?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I can totaly understand Rubones answer!---Ever since I went to OEM singlefire/I cant wait to run 2DCs on my pan!--The S&S gives me the X-tra that I need to get up some steep grades & thats 2-up.What use to take me 1st gear to do /I can do in 2nd & Without PINGING!.I actually feel that BESIDES stroking a pan & using STD heads---That Factory Dualpoint & putting the stock H cam back in after a few flirts/Is the single most best thing for performance on a daily runner you can do!/& its not That much in the cash dept.The 2-Dyna-5ohm coils was the most cost-wise.I know the 2DCs are going to cost about a non-running Ironhead once set-up/But Each carb has its own cyld.& I cant wait to Tune that thing.I try to use as much OEM parts when it comes to Motor & trans.Again shes not for 1/4-assaults-(its already to heavy)-Just a Religously run daily motorbike as I been doing.---Respectfully---Richie
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

It's an FL.

Looks like whatever I got going on isn't a million miles out for this bike setup. I don't want a sports bike or to go quick, I just want what I've got to run right enough to get me across europe and a bit of low end grunt. I got that now and it feels livlier that my 1200 evo sportster which has also had minor tweaks.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Just 2 bits
You let somebody else tune your bike, now you’re second guessing it. The S&S manual that came with the carb has very good tuning info/procedures within. Nothing to it, get after it. Pretty day, pocket full of spark plugs, couple tools= a fun day.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

thanks for the tips and the S&S advice, which is where I started but S&S suggested jetting for a stocker and offers the old fashioned way of tuning a bike, which is good enough I'm sure given the time and inclination. But for the same reason I don't lace my own wheels, I let a professional tuner tune my bike using modern technology that analyses the exhaust gas as this is quicker and cheaper and theoretically more accurate and I was happy with it. I posted the info meaning to be helpful in case anyone has a similar setup... so I'm not the one second guessing it, though a bunch of the other people in this thread are, with apparent great authority, I'm even getting PM's suggesting I'm wasting my money and time, though the setup I'm using seems to almost match someone elses... ie a .074 as opposed to the .076 main jet, which is half the normal jump size you'd use when jetting and I've got a smaller pilot jet... Such is the outcry I'm now thinking, maybe there's no smoke without fire, so when I get a little time I'll read up the tuning procedure and run some road tests. If the plugs are covered in carbon I'll let you guys know, it certainly seems to be running well if nothing else.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

My apologies, I missed the point of your post.
Thank you for passing on the info from your professional tuner.

Return to “Motor”