Pan Milage??

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
puttin

Pan Milage??

Post by puttin »

Hey Guys I have a 59 Pan rebuilt with all stock parts except 60 over pistons and Jim's hydraulic lifters . My Bike has 5000 miles on it now. It runs very well no complaints on how it gets down the road. My question is, is 29 MPG the best I can expect outta a M-74 Lingert?? Thanks Mick Inniss :(
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Puttin!
That's not horrible mileage, but there are things you can sweeten up upon a tired carb to get it back to what our fathers enjoyed.

(Although modern ethanol blends will always take a chunk out.)

Is there borewear from the throttledisc?
Has the venturi shrank to allow air around it?
Does your float actually float?

Before addressing the carb, please pressuretest your manifold assembly to be certain a microleak isn't messing with you.

....Cotten
puttin

Post by puttin »

Thanks for the info Cotton!! My M-74 had all new parts put in when the motor was gone through. But I don't think the venturi was sleaved or the bushings on the throttle shaft were replaced. So I guess you could say it was not totally restored. The guy put in one of your floats you sell, and it got the manifold tested at the time. Like I say it runs very well and usually starts after two primes on the second kick. Maybe after this ridin season I can send you my carb for a total going through!! And maybe then I can get a little better Milage. Thanks Mick Inniss
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Puttin!

Although there are finer points of rebuilds that I perform, I doubt that any one of them would contribute significantly to your mileage beyond what the Durable float has already afforded. (Probably why your consumption isn't horrible by today's standards.)

If you observe extreme wear from the throttleplate, or daylight around the venturi, it would be great to compare the difference from correcting them. But for a recreational runner, you might as well enjoy the life that's left in your serviceable hardware before you invest in blueprinting.

...Cotten
puttin

Post by puttin »

Thanks Cotton like always you give great advice, Which is more apprieciated than you know to all of us. I am just glad to have experienced the pleasure of puttin a Panhead down the Hwy. I'll stop my whining now about milage, and just enjoy one of lifes special times. Thanks Again Mick Inniss :wink:

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”