CV carb on a kick starter?

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hop Up
Bikes: 57 FLH

CV carb on a kick starter?

Post by Hop Up »

I have bought a 57FLH panhead just recently. I have problems (couching, leaking etc) with the keihin butterfly carb it has now. So I think i'll buy a keihin CV for that bike. A friens friend said that CV isn't easy to start with a kick starter due to low start rpm that doesn't create enough vacuum. True or not? I have understood that many people use CV:s with kick start only.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Re: CV carb on a kick starter?

Post by RussW »

The start/idle circuit on a CV is completely independent from the vacuum controlled slide function. The slide does not even begin to respond to engine vacuum until mid-range is approached. The CV has been an easy starting carb on my kicker and many others, providing all your other factors are correct.
Bob Farr
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by Bob Farr »

Hop Up wrote: *** due to low start rpm that doesn't create enough vacuum. True or not? ***
Not true. I ran a CV on a '74 Shovel with kick and electric start. It was an easy starter either way. Great carb and a noticable improvement over the Keihin butterfly setup. Snapier throttle response, better range, worth the effort.

RussW has already pointed out the important distinction. The "choke" cable on the CV isn't really a choke in the traditional sense because it doesn't block the air flow through the venturi. Instead, it is properly called an "enricher" because it opens a normally plugged fuel circuit/orfice connected directly to the float bowl. A choke reduces air, an enricher increases fuel: same outcome, a rich start mixture.

If your buddies are having issues with startup on CV/kick bikes, have them look at the venturi inlet face to make sure the gasket between their carb and their air cleaner box is not blocking the 3/4"-long oval/curved opening at the 12-o'clock position. That is the air inlet source which flows over the enricher orfice to draw fuel from that orfice. Also check to make sure the hole at 10-o'clock is not blocked by the gasket/box: it is a fuel bowl vent.

Good luck,

Bob
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i ran a cv on my 55 for years with great results. it started on the first kick hot or cold provided the intake manifold was in perfect condidtion.

remember to NOT open the throttle when trying to start a bike with an enrichner! as soon as the throttle is opened the enrichner will not work as it relies on vaccum to operate.

that is probably the problem your friend was having.

the only reason i took it off my bike was for originality reasons (i like my linkert as much as the cv)

john
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Been runnin a CV carb (SU) in my pan for over 30 years. Starts easy, idles nicely, good throttle response, and excellent fuel mileage if geared properly and driven reasonably....bosheff
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Another nice thing about the CV is you can usually find them for under fifty bucks. Get the press on flange on E-bay for about thirty bucks and your all set. Do a test fit before pressing the flange on to be sure the linkage clears the front head, I removed the return cable holder to help make more space. I'm running an internal throttle (reverse spiral) so I only need the one cable anyway...Mike
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Use the CV with the accelerator pump.
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

Larry wrote:Use the CV with the accelerator pump.
That's what I've had on my '62 for 16 years now.....only thing that's ever been done to it was getting crap outta the bowl, a situation cured by a fuel filter. I wouldn't mind having the Linkert back on (accel pump DOES give it more power though) But even with the rebuild kit, the Linkert simply couldn't be leaned enough...raw gas literally POURED out the exhaust....(admittedly, the flames were pretty frikkin cool!) Got about 25 mph, ruined a set of plugs with every tank, took forEVER to start. If I could find someone who could fix it, I might try it again
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Panjud:

Might have been a float problem. If it was "sinking" or out of adjustment, fuel would jsut be constantly flowing in and overwhelming the internal metering. But Tom Cotten is THE expert on this and he will (hopefully) weigh in. The cure is to buy one of Tom's PEEK floats.

All that being said, if you're happy with your current rig, then just keep rollin down the road.....
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by Mose »

Panacea wrote:Another nice thing about the CV is you can usually find them for under fifty bucks. Get the press on flange on E-bay for about thirty bucks and your all set. Do a test fit before pressing the flange on to be sure the linkage clears the front head, I removed the return cable holder to help make more space. I'm running an internal throttle (reverse spiral) so I only need the one cable anyway...Mike
A Brother gave me the CV off his 96 EVO and another brother gave me the backing plate and breather cover that matches the carb. Tried bidding on this "press on flange' on e-bay:

Bidding was at $11.50 so I bid $13. as soon as I placed my bid it got out-bid. Went through this charade for 3 bids and figured out I didn't want to play anymore. Is the item pictured above the one UI should use? If the one at JP Cycles is junk, where should I look? Thanks for any help in advance! 8)
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mose

use snipeswipe and you won't have that problem with ebay anymore.

set your maximum price, let the sniper do the bidding with 2 seconds to go.

john
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Steer WAY clear of that adapter. It's crap in my opinion. That is not a "press on" adapter but just converts your intake to accept the standard CV compliance fit. The press on adapters don't have the rubber fitting and once they are installed on your carb would be somewhat difficult to remove.

Here is a link to the CV adapter I would recommend to buy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-CV-Carb- ... 22&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can buy it for $34.95.

The first adapater I used was like the one you pictured above. I always had issues with leaks with that adapter. It also puts the carb about 1" farther outboard. The CV is already big enough. You don't want it sticking even farther out into your leg. I shortend my S&S intake manifold to pull the carb even closer into the motor.

-Craig

This is what the "press on" adapter looks like:
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Your bike should have no trouble with a CV carb.---As was mentioned you cant block the hole that the enrichment valve needs to take on fuel for your dry-kicks!--The boyz above explained this pretty well!--I know alot of guys that run CV type carbs. without hassle!-----Richie, Also if you already have a coverplate you can drill a 3/8 hole if its blocking the airhole! :!:
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I have a CV on my Shovelhead. It works great! Pull the enrichener cable, and do nothing else for almost instant starting. I would put one on my Panhead, except the Linkert Cotten rebuilt for me works , and I can't justify losing the originality of the Linkert. MINE ARE RIDERS, NOT HIDERS. Mike
Limey_Dave
Bikes: 31VL
43WLC
99FLHR
52 Ariel KH

Post by Limey_Dave »

That rubber adapter will harden,crack,and leak air.I wonder how many guys that say a CV is no good on a kicker,forgot that when they first had start problems,they fitted a new aftermarket coil.They think as it's new,it can't be the coil,but if it's the wrong type,you can wear a set of boots out trying to start it. :roll:

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”