Eliminate linkert

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
windyhilldavey
Inactive member
Bikes: Panheads

Eliminate linkert

Post by windyhilldavey »

I just looked at a friends 52 Panhead. He has shovelheads and wants to change back to Panheads but does not want to use a linkert. He wants to keep his internal throttle cable. What kind of Carb will work?
Thanks.
davey
DAYTON
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Eliminate linkert

Post by DAYTON »

I've got a KEHIN and it's working rather well. But, for a PAN, it's better to keep the original LINKERT (it's my own opinion). In fact the neutral is suffering with a Janapese carb.
So, I'm going to return to a original option carb with my bike as soon as I can.
:roll:
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Davey!

Sorry your friend is in denial.

Meanwhile, any design of carb will "work"...
with a conjured manifold to bolt-up.
Aftermarket offerings limit your friend to expensive one-size-fitz-all kits out of catalogs or ebay, for only modern over-engineered bells-and-whistles carbs, that will take some serious time and patience to tune.

But if he really wants to impress,
Tell him to find a Schebler Deluxe!

....Cotten
Attachments
Early auto carb shown, not a DLX
Early auto carb shown, not a DLX
Scheblib.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

Tell him to try a 38mm round slide Mikuni.I am running 4 of them on 4 different HDs and am getting excellent results.they are cheap and easy to set up too.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I've got a 38mm Mikuni Round-slide, set up for a Panhead, that I will trade for your buddy's Linkert, if he is interested.

Andy
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Alot of the guys already mentioned good ideas! Also aBendix-Zenith carb. will work good on a pan, a S&S E model is also a good runner for a pan motor. To me its all up to the individual, will he be hot-rodin or just riding regular everyday? If hes restoring back to original---he will need the Linkert!. It all comes down to what type of riding he does, is he climbing alot of hills-pulling 2 people? This is what he has to be honest-about & you can build a good running motor for his needs.---just my 2 cents-----Good-Luck-----58flh 8)
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

I think you folks are missing one key sentence in his querie......He wants to keep his internal throttle cable.

The original internal throttle is a push throttle so he will have to get a grip with the spiral the other direction to have a pull throttle. They were used OEM on Servi-Cars and Hummers and are available aftermarket. That will get the pull required for modern carbs and then it will be a matter of fabricating some sort of bracket to get the necessary bend for a newer carb. He can change to a wound cable and have a throttle return spring, which will make dealing with the bend a lot easier, and I think it still should operate like an old internal, except for being able to let go of the throttle and have cruise control as the spring might pull it closed a bit. As for carb preference thare are a lot of good options available. I am in the middle of doing that to my shovel with a S&S Super E and earlier internal throttle two piece bars, but I want to keep mine with the solid wire and no return spring.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

The 45 restoration co sells the internal throttle adaptor so you can use the Mikuni.
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

Just like WC fields said at one time, never give a sucker a even break. I to have a 38mm Mikuni and a box full of parts to make a few more with a lot of jetting pats left over that I would gladly trade for a M-51 .
The Mikune is a good working carb but the fuel enrichener is no replacement for a real choke. I am tired of all the kicks required to do a cold start in the cold winter .

Bob

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”