Throttle cable

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Throttle cable

Post by mcraeav »

I have a Bendix carb on my 62 and the solid inner cable seems to stick and hard to operate smooth. Do I need a solid inner cable since the Bendix has a good return spring on it? Would a modern twisted throttle be better?
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: Throttle cable

Post by panhead_kicker »

If your throttle is binding, either the control coil (sleeve), the wire, or both could have a small kinks or bends causing friction. One or both may need to be replaced if this is the case. If they are straight, make sure the inner wire is well lubed.
Harley still sells the -65 version of the wire.
Make sure the cable is routed correctly to minimize bends. Make sure the throttle spiral assembly is correct and operates smooth. Lube it well too.
Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

hows the bendix for starting when the bike is hot?
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Post by mcraeav »

I took the throttle asy all apart and replaced the inner and outer cable then cleaned and greased the spirial asy. It seems to work OK until I hook up the Bendix to the cable end. The spring seems pretty strong on the Bendix and with that extra pull the throttle starts to bind and stick.
I am just now getting the bike back together after a total engine rebuild so I dont have anything to judge the "Hot Starts" on yet. Why, is the Bendix carb hard to start Hot?
Attachments
IMG_4600.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG (63.96 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

never have liked it when bike is hot,thinking of gettingrid of it,if you dont get it on first kick it may take 8 to 10 w/wide open throttle. every one i talk to reports the same. i have insulator block between manifold and carb...runs great on highway[good color on plugs] easy starting when cold but hot sucks...any ideas any one?

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”