carb and knee clearance

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
plattd
Inactive member
Bikes: 54 FL

carb and knee clearance

Post by plattd »

Sorry-meant to get this on panhead forum, not just Linkert KB.
I've got this '54 FL chopper all apart now (just in time, too-many time bombs were about to let loose), and as I'm putting it back together I want to modify the intake system so I don't have to bend my knee around the air cleaner on my way to the peg and rear brake pedal. What's on there now is a O-ring type S&S manifold, an S&S Super B and 2" S&S teardrop air cleaner. I know Cotten would probably steer me to a Linkert (the old tucked-in style) but I'm not sure this ride quite warrants the expense and originality. So...an SU might be cool and save some gas, but it's gonna stick out at least as much, right? A Super E 'shorty' might be good, but they seem pricey. Still, any reason a Super E off a shovel wouldn't work with a change of manifold? How about a modern CV...will I save some inches there? Has anyone ever tried running a Super B with the indented backing plate off a Super E, or maybe cutting an inch off the Super B backing plate lugs and using a thinner element? My right knee will appreciate any suggestions out there. This site is a great resource, thanks.

David
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Re: carb and knee clearance

Post by panwars »

Hey David,

I run a super E and hated that big fat teardrop air cleaner. I am running a S&S pan intake (T shape). I trimed the mount lugs, drilled (I think I drilled may have just tapped) and tapped them deeper. Ran the one inch (maybe a little thicker)) K&N element, and it was much better. Oh you have to trim an inch off of the outer cover too. I later made my own bracket to mount a stainless Harley bell with center bolt. I trimed the super E backing plate to retain the enrichener but loose the tear drop shape, mounted the bracket with two bolts, then the element and bell. Very slim and looks cool. If you get serious about going that way I can get specifics and pics, let me know.

Scott
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

I feel your (leg) pain, lol. I have a "B" on my Shovel. On my '54 FL I'm using a shorty "E" and modified the S&S backplate similar to how Scott says he did his. I went through some trial & error but finally came up with the cutting of the backplate as the best. here are some pictures of what i did and how it worked out. Can't help you on the jetting from memory but I can check my "E" and let you know what's there, at least to give you a starting point. Mine (motor out of the bike right now) ran very good (stock '54 motor) and plenty of room, even for me at only 5 foot 7 inches.

first I cut off the the 2 "dowels" (right side of pic) so I could lay the OEM back plate on to make my cut line, then cut the S&S backplate so it looked like...
adapter1.jpg
adapter1.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 951 times
next I cleaned it up nice and neat, this was while I was still grinding & sanding to get it right
adapter2.jpg
adapter2.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 951 times
next I cut a rough opening in the OEM backplate for the round air cleaner so it would all fit together and I could make necessary adjustments in the cuts and clean up everything nice & neat
adapter3.jpg
adapter3.jpg (67.11 KiB) Viewed 951 times
then I drilled three holes through the OEM backplate and into the modified S&S backplate. cut some threads in the S&S so I could bot it together instead of using bolts with nuts on the back. I put a thin bead of clear RTV silicone between the 2 plates before I bolted them together to seal air leaks (want all the air to go through the filter)
adapter4.jpg
adapter4.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 951 times
finally I put the assembly on the carb. looks real good and should work fine. It has other advantages too. I get to use the OEM round air cleaner, a K&N replacement (washable) filter element like the original, the S&S choke lever works as intended, the S&S backplate support bolt & bracket and it all tucks in pretty damn close for legroom
adapter5.jpg
adapter5.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 951 times

if you need my jetting let me know
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

LOL
plattd
Inactive member

Post by plattd »

Very helpful pics. Thanks, guys--this looks like a way forward. Do you think there's a chance of making this mod onto a 'B' carb? It looks to me like the front of the 'B' bowl might interfere with the E backing plate cone. Anyone know for sure?

David
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

I run a SU carb with NO leg pain,,,I've been down that road before,,at the start it doesn't seem like a big deal,,IT IS..I find having floor boards makes it easier to run a longer carb
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I took a Linkert manifold and modified an old adapter so a CV would slide in. Heres a picture if it shows up. This set up doesn't stick out either.
Attachments
Photo_110408_002.jpg
Photo_110408_002.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Most CV carbs are installed using a S&S intake and a press-on adapter on the carb. I like Pan Pals modified Linkert manifold. If you use the S&S intake with a CV it will stick waaay out. I sectioned my S&S intake 1-3/4" and then offset the mount flange 1/8" to the rear of the bike to make room for the throttle linkage on the CV. That worked really nice and pulled the CV in nice and tight.
DCP_3272.jpg
DCP_3272.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 951 times
DCP_3282.jpg
DCP_3282.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 951 times
DCP_3281.jpg
DCP_3281.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 951 times
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

I got the manifold and carb on for a test fit last night. worked out very nice:
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 951 times
IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2242.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 951 times
plattd
Inactive member

Post by plattd »

Little Al--That's looking pretty good for clearance, nice and close in. From the lack of responses about adapting a Super B, my hopes there may be doomed. Anyone? Otherwise I'll be looking to pick up an "E" shorty and do I mod similar to yours. Thanks for all the pix and input. By the way, what filter do you end up using under your bell?

David
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

LittleAl

It may work fine, but I have been told in the past and just was reminded after reading a post on FHP that the SS carb runs best with the teardrop air cleaner. Inside the tear drop is a Nipple sticking almost into the carb to control the airflow. I never ran one without a teardrop aircleaner, but you may want to keep it in mind.
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

david,

I had a wire cage for the air cleaner, so I just got a washable foam element to put over it, from J&P (it's a K&N) I come from many years of dirt biking and washable/oilable filters are something I firmly believe in. My personal preference. You can get any type that you prefer, just purchase the right one that would replace the OEM one, thats what we're using after all

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”