Running rich

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ajockeyshift

Running rich

Post by ajockeyshift »

I have a 50 Pan with stock motor. I am running a Bendix carb, Accel plugs, points. & coil. The plugs & points are set to factory specs. I have worked with the carb & changet the air filter but the thing is still running rich. The only thing I have noticed is that I have to advace the distibutor more tha normal to get it to start. I am thinking that I have a timing problem. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Running rich

Post by Cotten »

After starting it static timed, try a strobe when the circuitbreaker is fully advanced.
That will get it perfect.
Beware however, that crappy accell garbage is known to have such high resistances that they soon carbon up,.. as if the mixture is too rich. I'd dispose of the plugs and wires immediately before going any further (Just say 'No' to yellow!). Even Taiwan cheapies are better. (accell is a conglomerate corporation that makes a lot of profit buying other companies seconds and putting their name on it. This has been an accepted fact for many years, particularly with mechanical regulators. They have no shame.)

Call tem up and ask if they make their own plugs. I did. It's enough to make you spitfire.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

I am about to open a HUGE can of worms here............
I have been warned...by several different sources in Maine and New Hampshire...(all who are dyed in the wool Knuckle and Panhead dealers/rebuilders), that nothing will ever work as good on a Pan as a well set up Linkert.
Your 50 might be begging for one.........
Just a thought, haggis.

(Stand back and watch the sparks fly!)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Linkerts are getting better all the time!
Most got shelved because the floats went to hell (and brass just doesn't let them run the same.) And eventually the throttle disc would wear into the body to where they were hard to tune.
All of that can be fixed nowadays.
If you've got a nostalgic bike, it's sure a sore thumb to hang a piece of a flying saucer on it. Langsenkamp & Linkert rules. (And Scheblers too!)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”