Plumbers or O-ring

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
interceptor
Inactive member

Plumbers or O-ring

Post by interceptor »

I picked up a 60 FLH and both front and rear heads were cracked. I ran across a set of 50 heads that have just been rebuilt and never installed. These have the old Plumber's style intake and the 60 have the O-ring. I looked for intakes and have not found much for the old style. Should I have the heads converted to the O-ring setup or just keep looking for an intake? The only intakes I have found have the 4 bolt flange and I have a Zenith carb with the 2 bolt flange.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Plumbers or O-ring

Post by fourthgear »

interceptor
In JP Cycle catalog( http://www.jpcycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) , there is an adapter you can get for the four or three bolt plumbers manifold to be able to use a Bendix or spigot type carb..part # 400-085 , four bolt linkert to Bendix , part # 400-100, for three bolt to 38 mm spigot and part # 400-099 , for spigot rubber, hope it helps ya.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

well,
with them off the engine you can get a rubber stopper and stick it in the intake ports on the 50 heads and pressure test them. if they have leaks you will see them, before you get them on. this will save you a lot of grief latter on. as for the cracked heads they can be fixed ....but if they are real bad, and you are not restoring a bike then putting a lot of $$$$ into them might not be good. I know from my own past, ended up getting STD heads in the end.
got pics.......

I think colony sells the intake . it is in most after market books.

http://www.foghollow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.usatwins.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these 2 are the cheapest place to get parts mail order

and if you want real OEM then look here......

http://www.nosparts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbskeam
interceptor
Inactive member

Post by interceptor »

I was told the Plumber's style intake from Colony was for the Knuck and not the Pan. Are they the same? My last two bikes were Shovels, so this is my first Pan.

The heads are off, but I would love to get this thing together. I will check for leaks this weekend. I wonder if it would be cheaper to convert the heads? I already have the O-ring intake.

I would have loved to order a set of STD's but we just had a kid so cash is tight. I am sure I will get a set down the line.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

well if the 50 heads test fine then a manifold is cheap, there are other things that can cost a whole lot more.....LOL
you got me on the manifold. and if they are the same for knucks
if the heads leak around the ports then you could have the o-ring conv done but I would have them welded in. but then the heads are only good for runnin, you might be able to sell both sets and get a set of STD heads....just a thought

mbskeam
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

The JP's cat. says 1940 -54 for the plumbers manifold , but that does not mean it Gospel.If you want to keep those 50 heads OEM use the plumbers manifold with the adapter for your Zenith, now changing the 50 heads to O - ring they do have an adapter kit to change it over to o-ring and not permanently alter the heads, but you still have the chance of them leaking around older threads in the heads and welding permanent o-ring nipples is the way to eliminate that possibility. The plumber type manifold does work when all is in order and if you do chose to go plumbers , go with Cottens seals for it ( yes Cotten , I'm a name dropper ) I have not used his seals but if they are anything like his Linkert float , they will be worth the investment.
I would send the 60 heads out to have them evaluated , they can be repaired , Headhog some times speaks up here you can e-mail him.
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

I had Don at HeadHog reseal my '49 heads, they were leakin' bad around the intake nipples, late model screw-in O-ring conversions. Leaking so bad that I when I pressure tested it, there were no bubbles, 'cause it blew the soap mixture out *immediately*. He'd already done all the other restoration on the heads (reseated the valves, new guides, welded up and smoothed out the uglies, etc). They looked fantastic. When I sent 'em back, he re-threaded the heads and installed new conversion nipples. Looks great, works great, so I'm a happy guy. And if I ever decide to restore it back to plumber's, I can still do so...

-Kuda
'49 FL
interceptor
Inactive member

Post by interceptor »

Hey Kuda, if you dont mind me asking, what did Don charge you for the conversion? If they don't leak I will just try to locate an intake. I would hate to mess with a decent set of stock heads.
headhog
Inactive member

Post by headhog »

Hello Interceptor
go to http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you cant get your problem solved I can convert your heads to whatever you need. The 60 panhead is supposed to have o-ring heads and manifold.And the 60 heads have 8 fin cooling fins on the rocker side and larger external cooling fins as well. Let me know what you need. Don at http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”