O-ring manifold sealing with square section

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panster

O-ring manifold sealing with square section

Post by panster »

Has anyone ever seen any intake O rings with a SQUARE section? It seems to me that they might do a better job, as they sit in a channel shape recess! Just wondered,
J.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: O-ring manifold sealing with square section

Post by caschnd1 »

I've only seen them with a square cross section after they've been installed for a while and you remove them. I think the idea with the round cross section is that it crushes down to fit the square groove and makes a seal by forming to it.

-Craig
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

has anyone ever tried using teflon tape around the indent where the o-rings sit in first....then slip the o-rings in place.....seems to me it would make a great seal!!! I,m going to try it on my pan.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Bibs!

Been there tried that ferget it.

Teflon extrudes, meaning it deforms and squeezes away from where you want it as vibrations and the cyclic expansion and contraction from heat moves things around constantly.

If there was something better than just a clean and dry assembly, then the Factory would be selling it. (With a licensed product logo and a hefty pricetag!)

The best way to avoid manifold leaks is to test while installing, by putting ~15 psi of airpressure on on it, and squirting dilute dishsoap all around the clamps. When the bubbles stop, you've found the sweetspot, and must then make the carb align to it without bind.

Good luck!

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”