New Zenith carb- probs outta' the box

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
59panrider

New Zenith carb- probs outta' the box

Post by 59panrider »

Hello Pan forum: I'm a newbie who's been reading & learning here awhile now.I've searched & cannot find an answer to my problem.So here goes:59 Pan/shovel
just put on a brand new Zenith carb.It is getting gas to it.Everything else is good(timing,spark) yet my brand new carb is bone dry.(internally) I could even see the accelerator pump drip a tiny bit of gas.I do not see any "squirt" when I roll the throttle on. Is the float hung up? Carb came with no instructions other than the 1 page simplified set-up sheet.Thanks
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: New Zenith carb- probs outta' the box

Post by 03Roadking »

I will give it a try, I have been working on my Bendix for months If you read the post just below yours I had the same problem
You say new in the box or do you mean somebody bought it, tried it on there bike didn't like it and left it on there self for a while and then sold it to you?
It make a difference because if it had gas in it and then it sat on the shelf it should be rebuilt even if it only had fuel in it for a day, once the seals get wet and you put it up on the shelf they start to deteriorate. You can try what I have written and see if it helps.
The first thing is to make sure the bike is upright and you have gas flow, take the fuel line off the carb put the end in a can or bucket turn the gas on and watch it run out if the flow slows down or stops your vent in your cap is clogged or you have a problem with the petcock If the fuel flows good next would be to test your float, I found it is best to do this off the bike, pull the carb and take the bowl off, hook the fuel line back up and hold the carb level below the tank and over a bucket, hold the float up with your finger and turn the gas on, let the float down slowly until its all the way down, watch the gas flow, if it flows steady then your OK there. If it doesn't then you have to check the passage way to see why it won't flow. While you have the bowl off check the accelerator valve in the bowl (DO NOT pull it out of the bowl) All you want to do is turn the bowl right side up and upside down a few times there is a pin under the place where the fuel squirts out of, this should rattle a little if you shake it gently this tells you it should work properly There are people out here that know more than me and they might correct some of my procedures but this will get you stated.
PS while you are doing all this don't smoke also if you have a gas water heater and it's in the same place you are be careful they fire up anytime and gas fumes flow across the room real quick Good luck and let us know what happens
59PR

Post by 59PR »

Thanks for the reply 03RK. Carb is brand new-(V-Twin ) More back round= this new Zenith replaces the old one-which was just too worn to rebuild again.(ran real rich but did run)I have good gas flow,gas gets to the accelerator pump,I tried the gas cap off.(after reading through your problem)With the air cleaner off,when I twist the throttle I see no gas squirting in carb(like the old one)I do see gas overflowing out the accelerator pump. I was advised this morning (by highly reputable vendor where purchased) that they had this happen to another customer & it turned out that a passage was never machined.So I'm going to compare the old one & the new one.They're both same (w/adjustable main jet). Hope your problem is OVER! I'll post results as I go.Great Forum here!
59panrider

Post by 59panrider »

Update: Followed 03RK's advice(Thanks!) & it is getting gas in the bowl-no problem there.I also compared the old to the new for anything I might be able to see visually.Both "look" the same from what I can see. I 'm not sure weather I'm hearing that pin rattle.Any idea's on where to go from here?
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

59pan
Have you tried putting the old bowl on the new carb?? the bowl has the acc pump valve in it so that would tell you if its clogged or has a bad passage way I would give it a shot Also in the bottom of the bowl there is a pressed in valve it must be seated straight it's a little metering valve for the acc pump you might want to check it
Let us know
59panrider

Post by 59panrider »

03RK: Thanks for the replies-much appreciated.I disassembled(this morning) both carbs-found nothing wrong with new.Reassembled & now she works.??? Nothing was changed other than disassemble /reassemble. Wish I could say this was a learning experience but, I have no idea what the real problem was/is.Must be something I've overlooked/missed being a newbie.(now I can LOL)Have you been riding this weekend? Your problem gone?
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

59Pan
Good for you ;D To ask why? well they have a saying in Texas "if it don't stink don't flip it over" ;D
Still having trouble with mine but I did ride the pan Saturday and Sunday was the Loveride, don't know if you heard of it, one of the largest fund raisers in So Cal more than 18,500 bikes, it's about 75 miles from point A to B we got in early so we would be in the first group, two of our friends got in real late so they were at the back. When we arrived at the lake (point B) I called them and they hadn't even started they motors yet, they didn't arrive until an hour and a half later But we are having some great weather out here, in the 80's and the headliner was B B King so it was a good day and a good ride and that's what it's about right?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

59panrider
You may have dislodged something in the process of disassembling and reassembling or straightened something out . Some very small things can screw up a carb. Good luck

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”