Need panhead carb (anything that works)

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
xcaret
Inactive member
Bikes: Brand new never ridden 1995 Road King, 1991 Springer, 1959 FLH, 1978 BMW 1000RS

Need panhead carb (anything that works)

Post by xcaret »

I remember in the old days reading about SU carbs fitting pans and I think amal ,and quite a few others ,since the linkerts were being thrown out I always used them ..I'm no drag racer. Now I need a linkert and all the thrown out ones that i coulda had are gone ..I'm wondering if someone knows what simple carb will fit and work good on my 59 pan..?
I was at some second hand book stores but even those dont go back to 1970s
thanks ..
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Re: Need panhead carb (anything that works)

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi,

Check some of the earlier threads for a good discussion on carbs.
I personally like the SU for its more classic styling and simplicity, but there were a lot of supporters for CV, S&S E, and the good ol' Linkert in that thread too.

Cheers,

S.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Xcaret,
seem to remember some company that would send you a complete linkertM74 if you sent them a usable body, will try and locate the name.
Also the guys at the shop I use could probally throw one together for you, they have plenty of old bodies and float bowls , and a pile of nozzles.
will ask tommorrow what they are looking for cash wise.
Haggis
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

Hi! As always in these carb-threads I put my 2 cents on the SU. (HIF-6) Easy starting, great response, good mileage and cool look! Goood Luck!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I plan to have blueprinted M74B's, M51's, M35's, M35tp's, and other various Linkerts and Scheblers at the Davenport Meet this September.
If time allows.
Anti-spam: They will not be cheap!
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Cotten,

I'm a little slow on what "blueprinted" means. Can you explain (for a 64 FL w/ M74B) and quote at least a ballpark dollar amount? And is that Davenport, Iowa?

Many thanks,

Kevin
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Kevin!
You are anything but 'slow' if you ask good questions!
"Blueprinted" is a word that is often stretched broadly in the automotive world. That's why I had to italicize it.
In the strictest terms, It means not only to original factory specs, but even tighter for R&D examination.
Naturally, that is unrealistic for a rebuilt original part. I use it more conservatively than most, in that not only do I return everything replaceable to spec, but I also re-machine many critical aspects, such as the carb flange that is nearly always distorted, and often hone for oversize throttleplate/venturi kits to eliminate all possible borewear.
By the strictest interpretation of the word "Blueprint", oversizes are not allowed. But most commercial interpretations take greater variance than this,...by far.
(Ever buy a "factory rebuilt" car motor? The are about as 'blueprinted' as an axe can chop a straightedge.)
I'll stop now, because blowing one's own horn is not what this forum is all about.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey xcarat,

i run a '99 CV carb off a evo, had to make a custom aircleaner base and throttle cable assy.
works great, starts first kick hot or cold. good power and milage.
best of all, they are cheap and plentiful at swapmeets.

john

p.s. it don't leak either!
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Cotton's got his "evil manifold leak" pet peeve, so here's mine. If you put a new carb on your bike and you have a local dealer that has a Dynojet, pay him an hour of shop time to jet your carb for you. Still the best $50 I ever spent! (Test for EML first!)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

JohnHD, I have been using CV's since '92
I find them an excellent carb. Easy converted from mild to Wild with about $15. bucks of HD stock carb parts.
I have done one & had it outperform an S&S "E"on the Dyno in torque & HP. Same bike.
Anyway, curious about your throttle set-up, what you're using ? How did you connect to the carb ?
My Police Servi is getting nearer to completion. & I have a left throttle & right hand shift. Of course I'm using a CV carb for it.
As you know HD is using these on everything from the twin-kees to the beginners Buell Blast 1 cylinder 500cc.
Same carb, different jetting.
deadwoodpan65

Post by deadwoodpan65 »

S@S E
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey billy

i made a simple bracket that attaches to the side of the carb, then i used two nylon lawn mower throttle cable nuts to hold the outer cable in place. one on each side of the home made bracket.
then i reduced the return spring tension by cutting one coil off.
the spiral wire is run into the "push" side of the carb plate, again a lawn mower throttle nut is used in the hole the stock cable went to.
make sense? it is so simple it is almost stupid!
ace hardware provided the nylon nuts that fit over the throttle cable, they also have the little brass wire ends.
works great, little or none throttle return. you cant tell by driving it is any different than a linkert. other than it doesn't leak gas on your leg!
a buddy of mine drag races knuckles, we mounted 2 cv's on his bike! quite the roar!

john
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

JOHNHD, sounds right to me. I knew cutting the return spring was involved. Did that on my 'ol 63 w/CV. Only I cut off too much , won't do that anymore. ;D
My Flatty stroker, I just added 1 1/2" to the handlebar ends so I can sit up straight. Trying to make it a bit easier on the 'ol back. After 34 +yrs in the saddle, mostly on rigids.
I may still run the throttle inside. Time will tell.
CV's by design have a great ability to maintain a High Port velocity. ;D Just what a motor needs..
It is a fine set-up.
I'm glad that people are taking them off new HD's . I got my latest CV with, The K&N Screaming Eagle set-up & Nostalgia Chrome air cleaner. $50 bucks for ALL. & got paid to take it off & install a Big Mikuni. ;D ;D Works for me...
So now I have a couple extra CV's. Can't have too many
john HD

Post by john HD »

billy

the other thing i did to mine was to add a yost power tube.
it was free, so i decided "what the heck" can't hurt!
last time i had the pan in the black hills i was able to pass stock evos on the hills no problem! not bad for a basicly stock 74!
shoulda seen the looks i got....hey dude, is that a "panzer"? -or- "nice softail!"

john ;D
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

JOHNHD, yeah, I tried a Yost tube. In a O.P. bike, pulled strong but was too rich! adjusted the needle cir-clip to 1 higher & the plugs read great! But it took out the BALLS!! I think this Yost kit is fine for our antique bikes.
That need to be a bit rich.. But this was for a new e*o at the time..
Found I could get that same thing using only stock HD parts. In this case a 1988 1200 sporty jet needle & stock emulsion tube. Then drill the slide to .128 & perhaps clip a few coils off the slide spring & you be Jamming.
Many tricks for these carbs. ;D ;D
1 thing I stay away from is the Dyno-Junk kits. I keep taking them out of O.P. Bikes, I must have 6-8 kits in the drawer. CRAP..

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”