Need advice on new carburetor 1957 Panhead

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tlgrooms

Need advice on new carburetor 1957 Panhead

Post by tlgrooms »

Hi all,

Looking at getting a new carburetor for my '57 Pan to replace the original Linkert. Does the S&S make a lot of difference in ease of starting, gas mileage etc? Is there anything else I'll need besides the "kit" to make it work on my bike?
Thanks much for any info...
I've got her tore down right now after blowing a hole in a piston last fall and about to start putting her back together.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Re: Need advice on new carburetor 1957 Panhead

Post by suicideshovel65 »

I had a Super B on my shovel, and I've got an SU on my pan. Based on my experience with the two, I'd probably go for the SU if I had to buy again. It's dead simple to play around with, looks period enough, and seems to match the running characteristics of my machine (although obviously that primarily means the jetting was sorted by the previous owner). I like it. Some people will say no doubt to stick with the Linkert and tune it; others will say you can save money by tuning a CV carb or similar to work with your bike. I guess it all comes down to personal preference stylistically, and how you intend to ride your bike.
As an aside I have often wondered what the S&S L carb is like to work with - don't mean to create thread-drift albeit slight, but has anyone ever used one of these before on their pan?

Cheers,

S.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I'm with ss65 all the way! My SU never let me down. Looks good and is really kinda personal... Easy jetting and calibration, great response and good gas mileage!

Good Luck!
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Tlgrooms....
as Suicide said " some people will say stay with the Linkert and tune it".....I agree...the Linkert was made for it...nothing works better than a well set up and tweeked Linkert...buy a rebuild kit ,clean it up , tell it that you love it, stick it on and it'll run like a top.Haggis
P.S. 57....nice year.......the best... look after it.
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

I put a 38mm Mikuni on my 56 pan about 25 years ago. Best thing I could have done for it. Idles smooth, starts easy, no leaks, good low speed manners and picked up better than 10-15 more mpg than the old linkert.
I had the linkert on it for years before so I've been able to compare. The Mikuni has less top end but the plusses make up for it.
You can still buy the kits.
Keep the Linkert if someday you want to restore to stock.
My advice for what it's worth
Gary
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Post by 57Kicker »

S&S Super E on my 57. Works well and relativlely (sp) easy to tune. I wonder if the burnt hole in the piston is from running lean. Leaking intake? May cause some discussion here....CHEERS!
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Really appreciate all the replies. I went ahead and got an S&S carb. Want to see how well it performs. Can always go back to the Linkert if I need too...
Anyone with an S&S have any suggestions for problems they encountered? And yep, think the linkert may have been set too lean and caused the problem with the blown piston.
Again many thanks to all for the replies..

Tim
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Can anyone tell me if the S&S Dual cable throttle assembly kits for '81 - '04 will work on my '57 with the super e?

Thanks!
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Tlgrooms, read this http://www.sscycle.com/catalog/knuckle/ ... orKits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want to keep hidden throttle cable in your bar there will be some minor modifications
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I put a Super E on my 57 FLH. After I got the bike running again, I went to a Harley dealer that had a Dynojet. For an hour's worth of flat rate, they did a couple of dyno runs and used the exhaust gas analyzer to size my jets for me. The bike sure runs good and I don't worry about melting my motor 'cause the jetting is too lean. Probably the best $45 I ever spent!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

S&S, Bendix, SU, Keihin, DelOrto, Mikiruni, Quicksilver, ScreaminChicken,....They are all good carbs. There are no bad carbs on the modern market. Just a couple are complicated. But Panheads came from the Factory with a great carb.
There was a time when there was no option but modern. Parts were extinct, and Linkerts were so worn that efficiency and performance were memories.
But now the complete selection of replacement parts, often of better-than-original quality, is readily available. Worn bodies can be totally blueprinted. Suddenly, some riders are getting the gasmileage that their fathers boasted about.
Those of us who still want speed will always go modern, of course. But some of us really need a place to put our right knee.
Will trade Linkerts for Scheblers, however!
OldHippie

Post by OldHippie »

Alright, it's time for another newbie question: what's involved in converting from a Bendix to a Linkert? I'm looking at a Linkert in fairly good shape; certainly better than the Bendix on my '57, which appears to be less than pristine. BTW, I do have the OE manual, which tells me lots and lots about the Linkert - but not a thing about a Bendix.
New manifold? And why am I reading about "manifold bolts"? What's distinctive about them? Thanks, everyone.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Bendix carbs started in 1971 or 72 on Shovels & sportys
Prior to that there was the Tillotson. That's why you don't see anything in your Pan Manual, on them.
But they were plentiful & simple. So they were being used on anything they would bolt to. And a rebuild kit was about $10. bucks & anyone with a couple tools could rebuild one decent enough to keep it working OK.
Don't read anywhere about the "manifold bolts" ??
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Old Hippie -

Tell us something about the engine. How close to stock is it? Valves, cam, etc....? I personally think that the Linkert is one of the finest carbs that you can put on your Pan. Very tuneable and trouble free, once you get it set up. And, follow Cotton's advice on the leak checking, before mounting up any carb. It doesn't have an accelerator pump, but I never noticed at anytime on my 59 Pan. Now, this all being said, I'm pondering the use of one of the CV carbs used on all the new H-D stuff. Not on my Pan, but on some other projects that I have in the shop. You'll have to pick Billy's brain, as to the proper setup on one of them. I'm glad that everyone's taking them off, because that means I can get one at a good price. I may get several. Then, I'll pick his brain.

Jack
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

tlgrooms, Just put a S&S on my 53 this week. I ordered the panhead kit and the S&S dual throttle kit. I had to hand fit the intake to the nipples but every thing else worked great. Ed

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”