Fuel line overheating

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Gearbox
Inactive member

Fuel line overheating

Post by Gearbox »

Author: gearbox

I picked up something the other day a NAPA that may help with some of the overheating fuel lines that go between the cyl . They are made for spark plug boots , good to 1200 degrees f. . I am going to put a couple of photos on the other sight and when the main man clears them we can put them or a link to them here .
My hose does get a little hot in between the cyl. and I thought this would be a good idea . They are made to keep plugs cool around the exh. environment so should help with the fuel line where it goes.One end fit over my 5/16 hose and the other end is about twice that, but between the cyl. you can not really see them . take a look and tell me what you people think.
I put them in miscellaneous photos in the photo gallery.

Post by texasbobber on Aug 2, 2006, 2:31am

fourthgear,
that seems like a good idea to me. i did the same thing you've done on yours except using a heat shield material i got from summit racing that i already had.
txrr

Post by sidecar on Aug 2, 2006, 1:57pm

I bought 1200 degree stuff at JC Whitney.
I think it was $15.00 for 5 ft ? It's black and looks exactly like the covering on the rest of my wiring.

Post by gearbox on Aug 2, 2006, 5:31pm

sidecar
I would like black much better , but already got the stuff from NAPA and at $ 18 and tax the black would have been a better price. I really didn't have a problem ,but I have been looking for the type of hanger that was on my 69 , it hung from the bottom carb bolt and kept the fuel line dead in the middle of the cyl.. This just seemed to keep me from thinking of vapor lock.

Post by mbskeam on Aug 3, 2006, 12:34am

spray paint it black, it will paint up okay.

mbskeam

Post by gearbox on Aug 3, 2006, 12:11pm

Good idea, I'll try that. It never crossed my mind and I like to paint anything to make it look better.

Post by gearbox on Aug 3, 2006, 1:00pm

Mine was not that fancy , but thats it . I have pretty much studied all the catalogs and just when ya think you saw every thing ! thanks

Post by sidecar on Aug 3, 2006, 1:44pm
spray paint it black, it will paint up okay

mbskeam

I used to do this combat boots that I wore to work.

Post by sidecar on Aug 3, 2006, 1:49pm

I had a problem with vapor lock. I had the line between the base of the cylinders to stop the problem. I couldn't stand the look of it though. I now have the line run down the frame, between the tins and the engine case and up between the tranny and engine case to the carb. No more problems !!!!!!
I have had people look at my bike and ask me where the fuel line is. It blends in extremely well.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Fuel line overheating

Post by Bosheff »

If yer gonna run yer fuel line between the cylinders, just use a piece of 5/8" automotive heater hose to insulate the 5/16" fuel line. Just slide a piece over yer fuel line and it protects and insulates from the heat and it's already black, plus you can't see it anyway....bosheff
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Fuel line overheating

Post by 58flh »

Bosheff wrote:If yer gonna run yer fuel line between the cylinders, just use a piece of 5/8" automotive heater hose to insulate the 5/16" fuel line. Just slide a piece over yer fuel line and it protects and insulates from the heat and it's already black, plus you can't see it anyway....bosheff
Bosheff/--hit it right-on!--I to run mine with 5/8 black rubber-line/over the FUEL-LINE>Works great & its way cheap & it blends in as was said---you dont even know its there!.--------RICHIE :twisted:

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”