CV questions

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: CV questions

Post by fourthgear »

I installed the Mallory dist. the other day and it is a beautiful thing. No more lag ,popping ,surging , just plain smooth. I will start another thread on it and its installation.
One thing I would like to bring up and that is how clean the plugs are since I installed the CV. I had one the other day that went south ( I just got done washing the bike ) and the only replacement was an old one from when I had the Linkert on and it wasn't real dirty, just some tan deposits and when I pulled the plugs to install the Mallory , that plug cleaned up too. I have never seen plugs so clean in any old Hd.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Fourthgear-

I'd be careful you're not running it too lean..
on an evo (flat-top pistons) just off-white plugs are ok..
Older HD's should have at least a 'nice tan' to them..
Course w/today's fuels & additives it is harder to 'read' plugs..

Additionally: I'm quite sure you will see improved gas mileage as well. Enjoy... ;D
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

sleeper
Yup , I was worried about that too until I changed the height on that main needle and they do have a slight tan too them but, when I say clean I mean the whole part of the plug thats in the combustion chamber. I am used to seeing some type of build up ,even after just a couple of hundred miles. It may be because I have so few miles on the new motor ( 5000+ ),but I don't think so, I think its because of a couple of factors , which I will be keeping a eye on for future reference. I am not going to say what kind of gas mileage I am getting because I haven't went thru enough tanks yet to make any assumptions. I will say if true ,its amazing. I wish I would of had time to do a good mileage test before I put the Mallory in, with just the CV change out. Just think Sleeper , it was your talk and others that talked me into trying out the CV and I'm already glad I did.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

O-sure blame me & the others, for your conversion.. ;D ;D

PS: Don't tell anyone cause this may catch on.. :-X

Glad you're happy with it.
I see regularly 10-15 mpg increases over S&S E's, with no noticable difference in performance (at any RPM) or situation..
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I'm currently trying to corner the eBay market on unmolested CV take-offs. Now that H-D has gone almost completely to fuel injection there won't be as many CVs available. Once I corner the market on CVs, I plan to take over the world!
Sorry.. must have inhailed too many gas fumes from all the CVs on the shelf in my garage. ;D

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Sleeper & Caschnd1
If thats the worst you can get blamed for , your doing pretty good in life.Seems like most want the S&S over the CV and before I put one in service , I really didn't know what a good carb. it is. ( Ya the S&S is American made , right )
I have already been thinking about the fuel injection for the Pan and when we figure that one out the WORLD WILL BE OURS. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA cough, gasp ,choke.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Last nite I finally got my bike cranked up with the "new" CV on it. All I can say is WOW, now I know why everyone is so gung-ho about this carb. I purposely had left the accel. pump disconnected because I wanted to just see how the jets I had in it behaved. So, not being able to squirt any fuel in by twisting the throttle, I gave it 3-4 priming kicks, ignition on, and it started on the first kick. And this is after the bike had been sitting for a week. Normally that would have meant a pretty good workout trying to get it to fire up.
I think the #50 pilot jet is okay, but I did raise the needle one notch (it's an adjustable one - looks like stainless and I think it might be a dyna jet but not sure). Anyway, it was kind of stumbling when I was cruising at about 50 mph. Raising the needle one notch seems to have cured that.
I should confess that I had installed the CV once before and could not get it to run well at all so I took it off and put the Keihin butterfly back on. I found a link (in another forum I think) that showed a comparison between the CV and the Mikuni and one of the pictures pointed out that you need to be sure there is some free play in the cable when the enrichener is all the way in. I checked mine and found that I did not have any free play and therefore the enrichener was partially open even when the knob was all the way in. After rectifying that situation I'm lovin' this carb. Just wish it didn't stick out so far.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

57pan
How did you check or adj. the enricher cable? I don't think mine is out of adj. , but I like to know all I can about this carb.. Glad to see you are happy with it now , I can't say enough about how well this carb performs.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

''How did you check or adj. the enricher cable?''

On my cable there is a knurled nut on the end that you can adjust so that it grips the shaft. When this nut is tight then the enrichener knob will stay in the position that you put it. When you loosen this nut all the way the spring inside the carb will pull the enrichener to the closed position. Now with the enrichener in the closed position and no friction on the shaft you should be able feel a slight back and forth movement on the knob and you should be able to see just a little bit of the shaft between the knob and cable housing. If the knob is bottoming out on the cable housing then it is possible that it is preventing the enrichener valve from fully closing.
Since there is no way to easily adjust the length of the cable housing I filed some material off the end of the 90 deg. metal tube that goes into the plastic fitting on the carb.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Different ways to skin that cat:

I file some off the plastic control-knob back-side, then it seats & shows a slight bit of cable..This way I can still have the enrichener stay where I want it..(& no dis-assembly needed). Usually though, I add a different knob & just JB weld it on a bit off bottomed out on the cable...
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

57pan-

you said:
"After rectifying that situation I'm lovin' this carb. Just wish it didn't stick out so far".

Just wondering which carb 'adapter' you used???
If it was one from J&P cycles or similiar, there is a much narrower one, bout.400 thick..(that's the ticket)......
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Sleeper,

Yes, I have the adapter from the guy on eBay. I'm also using the insulating spacer between the carb and manifold.
I guess it's just that with the Keihin butterfly carb that I had on before the air cleaner cover stuck out about as far as the gas tank and now it sticks out beyond the gas tank. This is just enough to make it slightly awkward to get my foot on the peg (no floorboards).
I have been looking it over and I think that it would be possible to take a section out of the S&S manifold and move the carb inboard a little bit. Maybe that will be one of my winter projects.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

57pan
Do you have stock size 3.5 tanks? I'm running 5's and my CV is not in the way ,but I do rest my leg against it and I also have an insulator between the carb a& manifold. I think its about a half inch thick or so. What air cleaner are you running?
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I have 5 gal. tanks on it, the air cleaner is the 8" round stainless cover.
It's not a huge difference - I would just prefer it to be tucked in a little more. It's certainly not enough to make me want to go back to the old carb - that's for sure.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Just got a CV to try, we will see

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”