Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Air cleaner element

Post by 59Panman »

I just purchased a K&N for my stock Linkert setup on my 59 pan. The part # called for a K&N E2470 but the cover will not fit onto the base due to the filter being too tall by about 1/4 - 3/8". Is there another number of K&N that fits the stock setup? Right now I have a UNI foam filter on the bike.

Thanks,

ozwick
Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Air cleaner element

Post by Fixman »

I don't believe any of the K&N's fit. I took a sharp knife and cut off a little of the rubber around the edges on both sides. Then I took a file and cleaned up the edges so they were smooth.
I had to do the same thing on my old WL with the twist on air cleaner cover as well as my current 57 pan with the screw through the center of the cover. Both worked well.

Kent
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The proper K&N for the J-slots ("twist-on's") is thinner and requires a special spring to replace the original spring: http://www.oldiron.net/prod-kafilter.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The site has a nifty 'velocity cone' for them as well.)

.....Cotten
PS: I use the original lifetime "brillo-pad" elements myself.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Cotten,

So will the element for the J-slot work on mine which mounts the cover with the screw in the middle of the cover to the stand-off on the air cleaner mounting plate?

Thanks
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

The J-slot K&N filter for my WL was the same part number (K&N E2470) as the one you have for the screw type Panhead cover. They don't make a thinner filter. At least that is what they said a few years back when I got the one for the WL. I believe you are out of luck unless you want to shave the edges of the filter off.
Even with the special spring set up for J-slot cover, I still had to shave off each edge to make it work.

Kent
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks to the replies.
I think I might have the original brillo pad one that Cotten suggests. But, I may get another UNI that is on there now.

ozwick
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

ozwick
I used a K&N on my center screw air cleaner on the linkert and now its in the CV carb air cleaner and I had no fitments problems . Have you tried to get a longer center screw for the cover? No offense to any one ,but I like my intake air as clean as possible and that stock Brillo pad air cleaner even with oil will only stop the big stuff from entering thru it , not very efficient ,but is better than nothing at all.( the sand down here will kill a motor in short order ) Since my K&N is guaranteed for a million miles , I would say thats a life time filter.Give me a little time and I will look into my past orders to see what part # was for mine. I have K&N part # e-3225 and heres the link to the specs,
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-3225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

If you wash an OEM "brillo" out regularly, and properly oil it, the dirt that comes out each time will make a believer of you.
Copper has some sort of electrostatic attraction.
My stroker wouldn't even start with a paper element. "Brillos" breathe.
If you want really clean air, get one of the military oilbath airboxes!

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Yes they breath ,because only a small portion of intake air going through the Brillo touches it and after the first few miles the oil that did stay on the Brillo is already saturated with particles and offers no further filtration. What happens to the excess oil on the Brillo ? It get ingested into the combustion chamber and what doesn't get burnt up (or stick to the throttle bore and intake) and exhausted , just fries onto the chamber and top of the piston and of course the plugs. I'm sure thats good for the motor. I can give you a micron rating of filtration of a K&N , you will not get one from a Brillo pad. Cleaner combustion air will give you cleaner combustion chamber , plugs , valves and less maintenance over all. Not to mention cleaner oil, which effects every thing else in the motor.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

See specs below on the 2 K&N Filters:

The height on the E-3225 is taller but the outside diameter is smaller by 2 mm. My filter cover will not go on all the way to the backing plate so a longer screw will not make a difference.

I ordered another UNI Foam Filter since it fits.

E-2470 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Air Filter
Height: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Inside Diameter: 4.688 in (119 mm)
Outside Diameter: 6.063 in (154 mm)
Top Style: Open
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.38 oz (11 ml)
Weight: 0.7 lb (0.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 6.63 in (168 mm)
Product Box Width: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Product Box Height: 3.63 in (92 mm)

E-3225 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Air Filter
Height: 2.188 in (56 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Inside Diameter: 4.625 in (117 mm)
Outside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm)
Top Style: Open
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.38 oz (11 ml)
Weight: 0.7 lb (0.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 6.63 in (168 mm)
Product Box Width: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Product Box Height: 3.63 in (92 mm)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”