1948 throttle cable bracket placement

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
theknucklehead
Inactive member

1948 throttle cable bracket placement

Post by theknucklehead »

Author: theknucklehead

I am restoring a 1948 panhead and I am wondering where and how the one year only throttle cable bracket mounts. I think it mounts to the upper motor mount but there doesn't seem to be enough room above the carburetor, even with the one year only throttle lever which is basically flat. If anyone has pictures that would be great.
Thanks

Post by 48moon on Jul 20, 2007, 2:57am

I struggled with this same issue on my 48'. The bracket is mounted on the left side of the top motor mount which is left of the frame curving around further to the left. I found it nearly impossible to route the cable at a severe enough angle to connect the control wire to a flat throttle lever. I looked at a lot of old M35TP carbs (including mine) and I never found one with a flat lever. I know the Palmer book shows a picture of 5 levers on page 246 but only describes 4 of them. It's confusing because the 2 levers used from 49' and up have 2 parts to them. (Read the caption carefully). My belief is that the bracket furthest left in the picture is not supposed to be there. Therefore the second from the left is the real (#1238-4.

Below are pictures of my lever and bracket.

Routing the throttle control cables around the frame and tanks on a 48' is a challenge also. Look at the close up picture on page 171 in Palmer's for a helpful visual. Be sure to to move your handlebars full right & left before cutting anything!

"Nothing worthwhile is easy."

Post by panfreak on Jul 20, 2007, 9:05pm

The fun part is trying to eliminate the dead spot in the controls when switching direction (off/ on the throttle) I gave up a long time ago and have just gotten used to it.

Post by theknucklehead on Jul 30, 2007, 5:53am

Thank you very much for the info and great pictures. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, been on vacation. Interesting point about the throttle lever. My M-75 linkert had the third one from the left, (palmer pg.246), on it. I looked all over for the lever on the far left, (the flat one), and ended up paying way too much for it, just my luck. I am using the second from the left, what I thought was 1947 on my '47 knucklehead. Talk about a snowball effect!! It would be interesting to hear from someone with an original unrestored '48 to find out what throttle lever they have.
wallofdeath
Bikes: 47FL, 48F, 58FLH, 64FLH, 68FLH

Re: 1948 throttle cable bracket placement

Post by wallofdeath »

I'm find myself entering the same situation.
Initially I purchased Throttle Cable Bracket by Colony # 9005-4 (OEM 3371-36) but couldn't get that to work.
That led me to do some research and now I see it's a different bracket altogether.

Would anyone have pics of the correct throttle cable bracket mounted in position with the cable routed to the carb (preferably with the gas tanks removed for better viewing)?

Thank you.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”