Keihin carb identification

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
cosmiccowboy
Bikes: 64 FLH 47 EL

Keihin carb identification

Post by cosmiccowboy »

I have come across two keihin butterfly carbs. I was hoping someone knew what they came off of. The numbers are 27499-85 and 27029-88. I,m looking to use one on a 47EL and would like to know which one will work the best and if they are worth messing with, or should I go with a different carb. I posted on the knuckle, shovel, flathead board but no reply. I'm just looking for advice.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

See response in Knucklehead section. Only more so for carbs that new...
VPH-D
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

No one cares what I have to say. But,I am going to say it,anyways. Back in the 1980's at the swap meet/parties there was an event called the "Keihin Toss ." Where participants competed to see how far each could throw a keihen carb. I suggest that you donate the carbs to the next toss. Then take your hard eaned dollars and purchase a good carb. :D
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A carb toss sounds like great fun, but....
I really don't think there is any such thing as a bad carb.

There are many inappropriate ones for an otherwise vintage classic, but such choices are either personal or practical. You either appreciate your machine's history, or it is just something to tinker with.

If you only want to spend your money once, find the original model to enhance your investment, or force what you already have to work in the meantime.

....Cotten
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

27029-88 was used on all 88 and 89 FLT, FXR and Softail models. Can't help on the other part number tho...can't find my parts book for 84-88.

Regarding Keihen carbs....probably not one of MoCos better designs. The newest bike I own is an almost stock (but OEM parts came with her) 76 FLH with 5400 original miles. Never will be a high milage bike. Carb for her is the Keihin. The bike, until warmed up, is more cold-blooded than my ex-wife. Figure it can be contributed to things like motor, carb and air cleaner, restricitions designed by EPA...

So, while one person might want to toss a carb, for me, stock is more important than if it is a good/not good carb.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Although the MoCo would have certainly provided parameters like CFM/RPM, etc., it is no stretch of the imagination to credit Honda with more significant input. Keihin of course, receives the ultimate credit for design.

Back when history was not so interesting to me (my Pan was little more than a decade old), I found the '76 Keihin to be quite friendly. I never leave them (or any "H-D" carb) in a dumpster when I find them, although it shall be others who find them of value.

....Cotten
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

I have owned a few H.D.s. Thru the years I have been fortunate,I guess, not to have owned one with a Kehein. No bad carbs. Some are better than others. Even the 1975 Sporty I bought new(help me out here Cotten,old memory} had a Bendix. And, it was not very good itself! Took it off and put a S&S on. Woke that Sporty up!!cosmiccowboy, Seems like you aint going for restoration. Kit out the best looking Kehein,get a two bolt manifold, mount, run it and see how it performs. All i can say. :) Good luck.
tony d
Bikes: 1948 pan EL

Re: Keihin carb identification

Post by tony d »

Guys, what would be a good replacement for the 27499-85? I have a 48 Pan EL with one on it. I have been away from Pans since 1978 and trying to get back into the net. I have looked at S&S Super Es but don't want the dual cable issues, and Linkerts (rebuilt). Sorta leaning towards Linkert since I played with them years/decades ago. I would really like a carb that bolts directly into the existing manifold that the -85 sits on. I am not interested in "period correct", just want a good pan to ride, with easy carb adjustments and a smooth replacement bolt-on. Any clues/advice? Thanks, Tony d.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Like Cotton suggests, don't waste your time with the 85-88 butterfly Kehin on your nuckel, get the right carb and be done with it. Whether it's an M35 or a M74 at least score a Linkert!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Tony!---Go with the linkert ,if its already set-up for it manifoldwise!--If your in a hurry you can get a used Bendix with ADJ. mainjet,& a manifold for $100 or less! & they run great on a stock pan.---Richie,----There is one model Kehien the 3-jet butterfly type that would put your ass in the seat. But I dont know the #s for it I do know that its a 40mm. And it dont work good on a pan!, but yrs. ago on 1 of my quarter-pounder shortsters ,It ran great & consistent! That I can vouch for. But most Kehiens are junk so to say---But they can be made to run & respond very-well!--we can thank the 1970s & EPA for alot of bad working contraptions!---Richie
tony d
Bikes: 1948 pan EL

Post by tony d »

Thanks Richie! Any thoughts on the S&S Super E? I heard it can be purchased in a single cable model. Other than that I am steering toward the linkert.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

TonyD---check your PM I sent ya!--I think you will find good info.----Richie 8)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”