J-slot air cleaner inspection tag info

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics

J-slot air cleaner inspection tag info

Post by Guest »

What is listed on the original inspection tag? I just bought an original one and want to get it restored and wanted to get a new inspection label. When I look at the V-twin catalog it has a different tag listing than mine.
Mine says:
"Every 500 Miles Or Under Extremely Dusty Condtions, Every 100 Miles, Remove Mesh Pack, Wash In Gas-oline, Dip In Oil, Then Reassemble

The one in the V-twin Catalog says:
"Once A Day Under Very Dusty Service Conditions, Or At Intervals Not Exceeding 1000 Miles Or One Month Under Any Service Conditions, Remove Mesh Pack Wash In Gasoline, Dip In Oil, Drain, Then Reassemble
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: J-slot air cleaner inspection tag info

Post by Cotten »

What year of machine are you restoring?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I've seen both tags and I think Cotten is on the right track, it depends on the year. They used 6" covers with brass tags thru 1940 and switched to 7" covers from 1941 to 1955. The earlier tags were brass, the later ones were some kind of alloy, they were more square and had the shorter instructions. I think it also depended on the application, military or civilian.

Every time I look at one of mine I wonder what would happen if they put those kind of instructions on a bike today, OSHA and the EPA would go nuts!, and there wouldn't be enough room on the tag for all the warnings about how much "Death or Serious Injury" could result. I don't think the old shop manuals even said anything about not smoking while you were rinsing your stuff in a pan of gasoline, if you were that stupid they probably thought you didn't need to be riding one of their motorcycles anyway.

Post by Guest »

Cotten: I'm working on a '48FL Engine. The j-slot cover is 7". Is there anyway to save the tag when I send it out to be restored? I'm curious to know what year my air cleaner came from because palmers book didn't mention anything about the tags. Thanks.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I hope this link works, as I haven't a clue:

The top is my '49 stainless, the next two are chromed covers of unknown years, then a Tedd repop, then an unobtainable repop for 6"

The differences will drive you nuts.

The top two appear to be the same, and they are the late "zinc" tags.

The third down has a simpler text, but still 'zinc'.

The Tedd repop is brass, with the simpler text...

And the 6" repop is brass with a unique text...."oftener"???

I must assume that the '48 tag would be like the top two.

Post by Guest »

Cotten, thanks for the pic and information. My tag is the 3rd in your pic. I am trying to figure out what year my air cleaner is because I bought from a gentleman who didn't know the year. I figured the tag would tell.
Let me know what you think.
Also, how can I tell if it's stainless or chrome plated steel. I think that in '48 it was chrome steel and then '49 changed to stainless?
How easy can my tag be removed and replaced after I get the unit refinished? Thanks for all the help.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Guest!

Try a magnet on your aircleaner; a strong pull (and any rusting) indicates a chromed steel, whereas a faint pull is the stainless alloy.

It is a matter of skill and patience to remove the rivets and re-peen them accurately.

The quality of the result of re-chroming depends very much upon the skill of the plater as well as the condition of the original. Thus a slightly blemished ("character") original holds more intrinsic worth than a re-plated but flawed piece. It is only original once.

Beware of platers who would polish the logo to oblivion!

Good luck,

...Cotten

Post by Guest »

Cotten, thanks again. I am going to check in the garage later with the magnet. Also, is there anyway to identify by the tag which year it came from? Just curious. I looked in palmers book and didn't see anything. Thanks again for all the help.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

the 500 mile tag as i understand was on big twin flattys
48moon
Bikes: 1948 EL

Post by 48moon »

Just mounted mine this past weekend. Old Dude (Clete Borchert) has rivets for mounting. His are made of aluminium which are much easier to peen than the original steel rivets. Also http://www.ziggysmotorworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has the later style data plates.

"Nothing worth while is easily obtained" (fortune cookie)

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”