Stock O-ring-style intake clamps

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Kuda
Bikes: *

Stock O-ring-style intake clamps

Post by Kuda »

Picked up a set of stock style band intake clamps, but can't for the life of me figure out how to assemble them. They're over a foot long, so obviously I need to either trim them or they get bent double. But it's not clear to me how they should be fitted up. Anyone got any advice or even better, a pictorial? Thanks again,

-Kuda
'49 panchop
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

They don't sound like stock clamps. Stock clamps are one piece so you would not be able to trim them. The ends are riveted on the clamp. Did the kit come with rivets?
Still Kuda

Post by Still Kuda »

PanPal wrote:They don't sound like stock clamps. Stock clamps are one piece so you would not be able to trim them. The ends are riveted on the clamp. Did the kit come with rivets?
Er...no. They're long (like 12") thin steel strips, with a 1 1/4" long straight piece, then a double fold with a hole drilled in it, then another 10" or so straight. They also came with two small 90 degree angled pieces with a slot cut at the bend, with a threaded hole in the center, and two screws with lock washers. It looks as if they're supposed to be bent in a circle, and the screw used to tighten the "fold" to the small "L" bracket. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how that's supposed to work...

-Kuda (couldn't log back in for some reason)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I never saw one like what you are describing. It sound like someone trying to copy some of the engineering of the original style. If I went with aftermarket, I would go with a full circle clamp. They seem to be easier to get a good seal with, but they can also be easily overtightened. The original works , but the clamp wants to bend where the angle brackets are mounted.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Kuda!

Since 49's had a "plumber's manifold", we must assume that either you have '55 and later heads, or they have been boogered with an "o-ring conversion".

Page 257 of Palmer's shows the Factory picture of the early strap-style clamps. (If anyone does not have a copy of Palmer's, they better damn well get one.)

The strap makes a single pass through the threaded "buckle" piece, bent back as tight as possible, and snipped off. Apparently the extra length is to give some sort of leverage for the initial fit.

Attached is a photo of one sans screw, which looks hex-headed in the Factory illustration.

To the best of my memory (never to be trusted), there were (at least) four styles of clamps, with two widths of the strap style.

If authenticity is not critical, common aftermarket stainless clamps with a #10 screw work well. 1/4" fastener clamps should be used only for 'custom' exhausts.

....Cotten
Attachments
STRPCLMP.jpg
STRPCLMP.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

Cotten, what is this Palmer's and where do I get one? Thanks.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A couple of notes on that last link:

The price shown is a good one, as it is less than dealer cost from V-TWIN.
Get a used one, as you will wear it out, get it dirty, and make many notes.

The the third comment is clueless, as it is NOT a Hatfield coffeetable book.

The book went to press without Mr. Palmer's final revisions, so a correction sheet is available.

This is a landmark comprehensive reference that revolutionized the restoration industry.

...Cotten
('65 owners beware that the book only covers '37 to '64)
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Cotten wrote: Since 49's had a "plumber's manifold", we must assume that either you have '55 and later heads, or they have been boogered with an "o-ring conversion".
Yep, the original owner said were "improved" back in the early 60's by a local HD dealer. When I got it they were leaking around the conversion fittings, and I regret to this day having them rethreaded and put back in, instead of going back to stock. But I've just recently picked up an M74B (compete minus choke lever and float) and I'm on the hunt now for a manifold. Once I track that down, you'll be hearing from me again. :-)

As for the clamps, that's EXACTLY what I needed. The clamps I have are almost the same, except they're the same width for the full length, instead of flaired out like the picture you posted. Regardless, they should work just fine, and should be a whole lot easier to install than the big stainless steel t-bolt styles. Thanks a lot to everyone for thier help...

-Kuda

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”