Stock style intake clamps?

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Kuda
Bikes: *

Stock style intake clamps?

Post by Kuda »

In the process of another top end job on the '49 FL and I'd like to try the OEM style clamps for 55' up (O-ring). I've tried the stainless steel monsters (overkill) and the two piece brass ones (split the rings at the bottom and top), so now I'm gonna give the stock clamps a try. Manifold (S&S) lines up great so it shouldn't need any more force than a stock clamp can provide. Problem is I can't find stock style clamps for less than $32 (NOS parts). Anyone got a cheaper source I can try? Thanks.

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

That's about the going rate for a good set of clamps....unless you want to pay $15 a set for that jap crap....twice.......my opinion....I paid $36.00 for a set with Viton O rings.......Skip
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Kuda, If your going to o ring? Heres a little trick we still use. Once ya goy the manifold in place. Use one clamp to hold it there. Get your self a roll of 1/2" teflontape at any plumbing supply. With the O ring in place give it about six to eight runs arond. Install your clamp and on to the other side. I've never had an intake leak with this methed. Hope it helps, Bob PS: $36.00 bucks for O rings. I'm in the wrong buss.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I wish to respectfully submit for the record that any tape, goober, or prosthetic will eventually BITE YOU.

So when it does,
do NOT blame the pistons, or the rings, or the carb, or the gas, or the headgaskets, or the ignition, or the oil, or anything else....
but only your pathetic bandaid on the manifold.

....Cotten
PS:
Meanwhile, everyone knows '49s ain't got no clamps.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Mr. Luland....the $36.00 included a set of clamps also....I am dumb, not stupid...........Skip
Kuda

Thanks for the replies...

Post by Kuda »

Still looking for the clamps, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get the replica (made in Taiwan) clamps. Hope they work...

With respect, I've never used anything but O-rings and clamps. Over the years I've helped more folks out on the road with dead bikes than I can remember, but every time I turned out to be an intake leak (except the guy who used radiator clamps on the intake, looked like he hit the O-rings with a cheese grater), there was something done to it, like electrical tape, duct tape, etc which caused the clamps to shift, the o-rings to gum up, etc. So I'll stick to just using O-rings, but I did pop for a set of vitons so we'll see how they hold up. But my only problem has been the clamps themselves, usually bending them trying to wedge the damn things on there and getting them out of round. And the two piece clamps didn't work either, they split the rings on each side. So I'll try the stock type this time...

Oh, and for Cotton: Of course you're right, it should have O-rings, but it was converted back in the 60's to the "improved" 55-up style. The threads actually look pretty good, and the plan has always been to restore 'em back to stock, at which point you'll be getting an order for a set of Peek seals...

Again, thanks for the help everyone...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Kuda.....have you tried hanging the clamps from the head while manuvering the manifold into place....I know what you mean, it is a tight fit....I found some excellent clamps.....they are called Cobra clamps....1/4 inch bolt and locking nut......extra flange to help seal.....so far they have made me very happy and most of the time drinking for free....I believe they came from JP Cycle....I know I hate those pukes, but they do sell a mean clamp....and they are made in the USA...there is also an old V-Twin USA made clamp, if you can find them anywhere, that was an excellent clamp....they came with regular o rings....not that crap they sell now...they would be new old stock......Skip

as of 9:36 a.m. est....there were 4 sets of stock clamps on Ebay....2 being sold by NOSPARTS for under $20.00.....Skip
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

Skip wrote:Kuda.....have you tried hanging the clamps from the head while manuvering the manifold into place....I know what you mean, it is a tight fit....I found some excellent clamps.....they are called Cobra clamps....1/4 inch bolt and locking nut......extra flange to help seal.....so far they have made me very happy and most of the time drinking for free....I believe they came from JP Cycle....I know I hate those pukes, but they do sell a mean clamp....and they are made in the USA...there is also an old V-Twin USA made clamp, if you can find them anywhere, that was an excellent clamp....they came with regular o rings....not that crap they sell now...they would be new old stock......Skip
That's what I had on there previously, the Cobra clamps. They're...OK, they're certainly strong enough (overkill, really) but they are a real PITA to get on there. And yeah, if I pull or loosen the heads it's not so bad, but if I don't want to break the seal on the head gasket it's a real PITA. And thanks for the tip on Ebay. I absolutely HATE using Ebay, mainly because I resent what it's done to the price of pan parts, but if needs be... <shrug>

-Kuda
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Kuda: This had become a sore spot for me....I was having the same trouble with misshapen clamps etc.....I currently have 10 bent to shit pair hanging on my wall.....I do not loosen my heads....I just hang the clamp on the intake port over the o rings that should already be there....then wiggle my manifold into place....pop the o rings down to hold manifold in place then wiggle the clamps where they need to be....sounds real simple on paper?????....it is a lot easier than trying to get the clamps in there after the manifold is in place....of course when my mainfold is in place, it is a tight fit, usually do a final tap with small rubber jewelers mallet....no gaps anywhere, so that hepls on the seal I believe........

On Ebay....you are right, it is a disgrace....but I admit I do surf it at least 2 times a month looking for the usually unbelieveable deal....last month I scored 10 oil pump gaskets, 4 pan cover gaskets, 1 tranny gasket, 8 push rod corks all for $5....and in August I got 2 new Joker Machine mirrors for $13.00....they retail for 140.00 each...man was that dude pissed....love those deals......Skip
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Skip, Nobody said you were stupid. I was just playing around. I can’t for the life of me figure out why you’re having such a hard time with these clamps. I’ve always used the standard aircraft type and my Teflon tape and never had a problem. Are the heads adjusted to the manifold properly? You don’t really have to crank down on these either. I’ve always had problems with the Shovels because of the angle manifold but not pans.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Chubblehead manifolds are a b*tch indeed.

Vacuum leaks are problematic.
One cannot rely upon guessing, hopeing, theorizing, nor the best-intended buddy's advice for a fandangled clamp to cover all bases. You cannot smell a vacuum leak. If you can hear it, you were lucky to get the machine started!

To actually see a leak, it takes soap bubbles.

Watching the bubbles will keep you from over-tightening even a cheezy aftermarket 'over-kill' clamp.

....Cotten

Disclaimer:
I did actually see a manifold leak on one of my 65's one night (long ago) as I lazily punched the button to leave at closing time.
The motor started 'like it never stopped', but I noticed a yellow flash like a turn signal upon my left pantleg.
Dismounting to inspect, I saw two yellow tongues of criss-crossed flame pulsing out of the bottom of the carb-to-manifold gasket.

Believe it or not...I blew them out like birthday candles... in a panic.

The motor never missed beat, but I tightened it slightly to get home anyway.
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Mr. Luland....ment nothing by it....nor did I read anything into yours....like you said just messin' with you....as for problems...and I am knocking on wood as I type....once I figured it out I have no problems....set another one up this past fall just like mine and I believe it is still going strong....I think the gap between the head and the manifold is the key....the closer the better....less of a gap for the o rings to have to seal...I can spin my clamps....just my opinion....Skip
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I personally would not want any intake clamp to spin , even if it takes a little force to move it. I use the after market clamps (1/4" max.) and SNUG them down uniformly and have no problems when leak checked ( I use micro leak detector for testing ) If you leave them too loose , they my pass the leak check , but down the road , with expansion and contraction ,not to mention heat & vibration , they may leak in short order and once they leak you have to replace them . Re-tightening them may not work.
Skip
I think you are right about the gap between the nipples , too much and the seal gets pushed into the intake chamber ,exposing to much seal, where it get subjected to modern fuels & fails prematurely. Those new viton o-rings look like they are worth a try.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”