Linkert topic

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
leonardowl48
Bikes: UL 1947

Linkert topic

Post by leonardowl48 »

Hi again

Since I Have my WL (1948), it works with a Linkert M41 carburator (It comes with the bike) .

In my spare parts book says : M41 is correct for 37 - 52 45" twins model and 36 - 48 74" and 80" side valves.

In the Buce Palmer book (Carburator data chart) says :M41 is correct for 30- 33 74", 30-36 DLD, and RLD, 1936 RL, and the correct one for a WL (1948) it´s the M 51.

The Linkert M51, as I could see, had excactly the same specifications than the M 41.

I wold like to know wich model of Linkert it´s the correct for the bike.
Regards
Leonardo from Uruguay
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

My best guess is that Palmer is correct with the M51,
although I believe Scheblers were used for the earliest years cited for an M41.

Your original carb casting would have 'L&L' in the script on its side, and not 'Langsencamp & Linkert' spelled out.

....Cotten
leonardowl48

Linkert

Post by leonardowl48 »

Cotten:

You´re right, it says L&L (not the spelling form).

Thanks
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

M41s were made with both script styles; The abbreviated script indicates that yours was made after WW2.

Although the M51 is cited for the '48 WL production, it was not an uncommon practice for export machines to be issued with wide variance.

My SpareParts books are at the shop, so I cannot quickly determine where the M41/51 appear in modern reprints. By any chance, is your copy a vintage original?

...Cotten
leonardowl48

Linkert topic

Post by leonardowl48 »

Yes, my spare pars book it´s a copy of the original.

Thanks for the info. Many Harleys was imported from USA after the WWII from my country mainly flatheads (WLA's, Servi's, and in special UL´s). My bike is one of them, and it's too much possible, they have had a lot of changes from the original specifications,like the Linkert M41....

What it´s the difference between M41 and M51 then?, as I could see, the thecnical specifications are the same

Leo
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

The castings are nearly identical.

I found some old posts from Mr. Palmer that corrected the M41 production to '41 at the latest for Wls..

My '50s reprint lists no model numbers, and my '54 book lists an M 52!.

With care and attention, your M41 will run great.

....Cotten
leonardowl48

Linkert topic 2

Post by leonardowl48 »

Many thanks for your help Cotten.....

As you say, the bike run great with the M41, but I have the feeling there is a little vaccuom leake in the manifold.

In high speed the bike runs like the wind, but at idling speed the motor always has the tendence to run up. At idling speed when the motor it's warm retarding the advance grip, and pushing inward the throttle grip with the hand on it, and turn down the low speed needle 2 or 3 notch the motor slow down better. But it's not stable ... So I still thinking the idling speed could be slowly and stable (I love this sound je je).

I read about the leaking test in the manifold but I can't understand how it do

Hope learn about soon
Many thanks
Leonardo
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Hi L-48,

Make yourself one of these tools for your bike..

Then follow cottens instructions.
Airleaktester.jpg
Airleaktester.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 931 times
George
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html for pictures of simple bubble-testing.

You only need a large cork or rubber stopper with a small hole through it to replace the carburetor for manifold testing. You must hold it firmly when pressurized; The alternative is making a testplate as shown to free your hands.

With the motor turned through to where both intake valves are shut, a constant 12 to 15 psi maximum (1 atmosphere ) is applied to the cork.
Then soapy water sprayed around the manifold nuts, nupples, and rivets will display exactly where and how much leakage there is.

Good luck!

...Cotten
PS:
It is also a good idea to turn the motor to open each intake valve to then bubbletest the sparkplugs and headgaskets on each cylinderhead. The pressure can be increased greatly for those areas of possible leaks.

Listening at the timing hole can give an indication of the piston rings' condition, and listening at the exhaust pipes tell of the exhaust valves' condition.
With luck, you will only hear a mild hiss at the rings, and no sound at the pipes when the valves are shut.
leonardowl48

Linkert topic2

Post by leonardowl48 »

Many thanks for all of yours help

I will do the test next weekend and then I'm going to tell the results

Leonardo

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”