Carb switcharoo

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Carb switcharoo

Post by 59pan »

In my endless quest for easier starting I am thinking of trading out my Bendix for an S&S Super E. I currently have an internal throttle control wire on the Bendix. Is it possible to keep internal controls with the S&S or will I have to use a dual cable setup routed outside of the handlebars.

Thanks in advance for advice.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The Bendix is a pretty easy carb to start. I don't think you'll notice much improvement in starting with an 'E', unless your carb has some kind of problem.
The Bendix hides behind the stock air cleaner pretty well, using an aftermarket back plate with the -56 air cleaner cover. The 'E' sticks out a little further than a Bendix.
We have 4 Pans in the immediate family running an 'E' carb with a stock -74 throttle control with a single cable. Just tap out the bracket to the 5/16 thread of the 'E' throttle cable. You'll probably have to figure out something to pull the 'E' carb open with the solid wire cable, but it should work.
VPH-D
VT

Post by VT »

Here's a Bendix on Ryders' 71 XLCH. "Push" spiral was used with OE stiff-wire, but if you put the cable entering from the bottom instead of the top, you would use a "pull" spiral.
He used these Kwik-set fastener pieces and made a throttle cable block.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Before you switch carbs, check your timeing and also your intake for leaks, mine had a intake leak and the timeing was a bit late, she started fine when cold but wouldn't restart when hot. Now she starts up anytime, one kick when hot, two prime kicks, then one with the key on when cold. Mike

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”