Throttle: push vs pull

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Throttle: push vs pull

Post by 64duo »

Sorry folks, i'm displaying my ignorance here. I have finally found a decent set of handlebars to return my throttle set-up back towards the factory setup sort-of. I'va added back on a Cotten reworked M-74B and now the question is on my 64FLH, was the throttle designed as push or pull? As it sits now the throttle is push to give it gas, backwards from what I expected, and of course opposite of the S&S that was on before. Can someone straighten me out? Do I have the wrong spiral in the handgrip?
64duo
Attachments
throttle, carb end
throttle, carb end
P1010045.JPG (69.22 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

RE: Throttle

Post by 59Panman »

64Duo,

Yes you are correct. When you turn your throttle to give the carb gas, the wire should go towards the rear wheel "push" for the Linkert. If it is retracting toward the front wheel, you have the wrong spiral on the bar as it is a "pull" if so.

Hope this helps.

You are going to love your new rebuilt Linkert as I am grinning from ear to ear with Cotten's rebuild of mine.

Mark
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

that is how my stock '55 spiral works, pushes twards the carb to go.

john
1950 Bobber

1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

You are correct now! The S&S does require a pull throttle.....if using the old style throttle cable thru the bars, the old hummers and similar models produced the "pull" throttle thru the bars which will fit the big twins........

Just a tid bit.....

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
VT

Post by VT »

Push type is (56220-53)......pull type is (56220-58) - first used on 1958-up Servi-Cars for right hand shift models. This -58 pull spiral is the one used for Bendix, etc. carbs. Both are probably available from http://nosparts.com
Commander47
Inactive member

Post by Commander47 »

I'm going to put an S and S Super B on my 51, and this particular B is a later model with the Push/pull setup for two cables. If you have one of these, you should be able to merely attach the cable to the left side of the motorcycle under the tank and run it between the cylinders to either the top or bottom, depending on whether you want a push or pull. It will work either way with this particular S and s.
VT

Post by VT »

True! or Bendix.
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Now that I have the Linkert on, I have some serious re-education to do. The internal throttle and that PUSH to get more gas just seems wrong, I need some remedial training. Gonna get the tanks back on, see if the hard line from tank to linkert filter fits well and then see what fires up.
64duo
VT

Post by VT »

The internal throttle and that PUSH to get more gas just seems wrong
Nope. Linkert butterfly turns C.C.W. to open the throttle. Cable pushes to open, and there you have it. I think you might want to remove more coil from the cable at the butterfly. I usually have about 4" or so of bare wire leaving the coil about an inch after the coil leaves the frame clamp (under the tank), as shown in you pic. I think the wire has to be bare for that distance or the wire will bind in the coil, if you leave it like you have it in the pic. I could be wrong. Try it your way first.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”