Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanHeadMark3
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
2013 Switchback
2011 Sportster Low

Same Price Carbs- Linkert 74 v. S&S E

Post by PanHeadMark3 »

Price being equal and originality not being an issue, which carburetor do I buy for my 65 Panhead. (motor is bone stock)
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Same Price Carbs- Linkert 74 v. S&S E

Post by Bigincher »

The S&S is the same basic design as the Linkert; however, it does have an intermediate circuit, is more 'tuneable' than the Linkert, and the biggest difference- has an accelerator pump.
Will it make that much of a difference on a stock motor? I believe the difference would be noticeable.

But that's just my view- let's hear from someone who was running a Linkert and installed an S&S. I'd like to hear that comparison myself.
PanHeadMark3
2013 Switchback
2011 Sportster Low

Post by PanHeadMark3 »

Bigincher wrote:The S&S is the same basic design as the Linkert; however, it does have an intermediate circuit, is more 'tuneable' than the Linkert, and the biggest difference- has an accelerator pump.
Will it make that much of a difference on a stock motor? I believe the difference would be noticeable.

But that's just my view- let's hear from someone who was running a Linkert and installed an S&S. I'd like to hear that comparison myself.
Thanks, Big. That's a start
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

During the gas crisis back in the 70's I replaced the Linkert on my 57 FL which was getting around 25 MPG with a Mikuni and got around 35 MPG. Starting hot or cold was very easy with both. I can't say the performance was significantly changed, but the Mikuni was easy to tune and remained reliable for years. Not sure what the price point is on a Mikuni these days, but a new S&S is pretty expensive.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

By the way, if you are going to consider the Mikuni you might want to buy this PDF. It's from a member of this forum
http://victorylibrary.com/MIK-HD.htm
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

My first kick starts are way more consistent, both hot and cold, with the S&S.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I love my Mikuni HSR on my Evo.
But they are not cheap either...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have ran Many different carbs!---M-74B--Good carb.,If the venturi has no daylight-& you have one of Cottons floats,-& the needle actually seats--There great running ,As was said above -Just like a linkert Except The bottom comes to life much sooner with the S&S-E,or B.This olny because Theres a vertical Plate & Horizontal Throttle plate!.If you truly want a Link -Then outfitting with V-TWINGE hardware Is not the way to go!---You really need someone who knows how to set one up!-(Liberty HD,Cotton I reccomend.).The S&s-E will be less of a Headache!-Good Performace!.If your like me Im not really to much into FACTORY EVERYTHING.However IF you were to use a DC-LINKERT--Thats the best link for a Big-twin in my opinion!.Horizontal shaft & its Factory!.I run a S&S-E 70 on the main,& the rest is Stock--I shut my accel-pump off & use like a linkert Sump-Fill the cylds.-3 kicks & 1-Hot,Warm motor & go.The S&S-B is GOOD also But it will slap your knee constantly!--Long Runner.I climb steep grades & I also roll 2-up 70% of the time--If this sounds like you then the S&S-E shorty Handles it with grace.Everything the men posted Is on point!.------Also the Mikunis Give good mileage/Once you have it tuned correctly!-A Slide carb. requires more attn. to stay operational after say a 3-month Parking.Slides must run smoothly in bore!-So a Mikuni is nice Both In mileage & running./I have 2-45s now on Mikunis in the club & they love them.-----Respectfully----Richie
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Mark3,
If originality is not an issue and you have a Linkert/S&S budget, you might look into a Harley CV carb for your Pan. The price has gone up on them, but you can still find them in good unmolested shape for around $100 bucks - quite a bit cheaper than a decent Linkert or S&S. The CV is a very good performing carb - easy to tune, good for kick starting hot or cold, and good gas milage.

Geo.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I agree with George, CV is a very good way to go.
PanHeadMark3
2013 Switchback
2011 Sportster Low

Post by PanHeadMark3 »

I'm looking primarily at the two carbs (Linkert and S&S) because they're roughly the same price and performance. Richie, your contribution is great. Thanks for taking the time for writing such a long descriptive response.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Your 65 looks pretty stock, I'd go with the Linkert, and I've been running S&S carbs since the 70s...
VPH-D
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

PanheadMark----Last year I purchased a Intake off a Performace driven 4-cyl. Rice cooker.I paid $200!!!--Thats where I got the CVs for the 2-45s./After the CV was returned to stock needle & Settings /They ran & still run EASY & Nice on the 45s.I gave those cv carbs away!--I have one for myself (Bobber project)-& sold the pther for $50!--The Performance Intake I sold for $200.-So I gained & didnt lose anything!.When going for a CV carb. bring a Caliper(vernier )-Just to measure the bore!--There from 36mm(early small Dual-purpose Kawasakis/---Look for a 40MM & GO to a KNOWN Bonetard that has Row after row of bikes!--There tagged Parts & running!.Theres plenty of $50 to $75 CVs out there!.But you already have the S&S-E/I would be setting that-up!--JMHO.----Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”