Another Hard Starting Question

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fl9018
Bikes: '80 FLT
'51 FL Bobber

Another Hard Starting Question

Post by fl9018 »

I put a Keihin CV on my '51 pan after a top to bottom rebuild. I have a long intake manifold adapter to connect the carb to the tee manifold. Could this length gum up the fuel atomization? When it did finally start (for about 10 seconds), it ran nice but stalled out I believe to a lack of fuel. Any insight would be appreciated.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Another Hard Starting Question

Post by 58flh »

fl9018----Those carbs. work nice after there dialed in!.When starting /do the usual routine with 3-4 dry kicks to get the fuel into the cylds. As you said its a long runner & comes to 2 90-degree turns!.Turn IG. on retart the timer & kick-If she don't fire or spitback Try kicking again.If you kick this bike 10-times & no response / Priority 1 is bubble test the o-ring manifold for leaks at the gap where the clamps are.If it ran & stalled,You made it kida sound like the bowl went dry/It happens ,make-sure your Petcock is working!.Run 12-psi at the intake ,If you do not know how to bubble test -Its in the K-Base (virtual Indian).This will show how to make a rig for the compressor!.Use soapy water on the clamps & manifold & just look for bubbles.Tighten the clamp just until the bubbles go away -(DONE).A vacuum leak would of done exactly what you said /it runs then craps out.This is very common on o-ring heads!.#2--Make sure the timeing is perfect & both lobes have .022 gap when opened.If one has .020 & the other is .022,She should run just fine!--(IDEALLY you want the same gap!).#3--After all that kicking & smelling gas/ just rub your finger under both clamps of intake!,There going to be WET with gas!.Thats the first thing I do when just going over a bike ,iT TELLS THE TRUTH.Gap plugs at .025 to .028.A note of caution--running your motor with a vacuum leak means its sucking outside air,that raises the cul.-temps.& you can melt a hole thru a piston,or worse!.----Respectfully----RICHIE
fl9018
'51 FL Bobber

Post by fl9018 »

Thanks Richie, I'll double check for leaks and try that starting procedure. If this don't work, I'm putting the Linkert back on.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

With one of Cottens Floats & a tight -(no daylight Venturi)-I would run the Linkert since you have it.They work great on pans As do Cvs, Bendix S&S,etc.Just remember FL IF you have a manifold leak--no matter what carb. you choose/The endgame will always be the same ,---KICK after Kick,After kick..........When the manifold is set-up correctly,These motors start with just no effort. I just bring mine up to compression stroke-(you feel the kicker get harder to push down.Turn on the IG. & just relax my leg & shes into a steady Idle.Usually you will find that most kick spots are at the 9 O CLOCK position with the kicker.Then its up to you ,just an easy kick-thru all the way to bottom/& if alls well they fire very easy!.GOOD-LUCK & don't forget to BUBBLE TEST before going further to try to start it!--Even a small leak will fight you HARD!---Respectfully---Richie
fl9018
'51 FL Bobber

Post by fl9018 »

I double checked for leaks, double checked my timing. I even wore an Indian t-shirt to get it to go but it didn't do it this time. It wants to start but I believe my intake adapter for the CV is too long to create a good vacuum. I'll try it with the Linkert for now till I make a new (shorter) intake adapter.
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Post by Casaba »

The indian t-shirt made me chuckle! Good luck with her, sure seems like a leak unless that manifold is sticking out 12"!

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”