intake manifold

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pan58hd

intake manifold

Post by pan58hd »

Hello All winters here and trying to fix some mickey mouse stuff on my Pan. We'll as I said before my pan is a mutt. I have a 58 with a 48 front head and a 50 rear head. It starts hard, I took the carb off and built a intake leak tester (thanks to cottons directions)and the plummers intake is not leaking(that's releif). My problem I think is someone made a intake to go between the 4 bolt linkhert to an s&s E. Does any body produce a intake for this combo? I'm a machinist by trade so making a new one isn't out of the question but hate to reinvent the wheel. i figure I will just take a s&s o ring manifold and cut and machine up a 4 bolt flange and weld it together for now. My goal is to find a correct set of 58 heads in time just want to get it running for this summer. Thanks SSB
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

pan58hd

Although ideal, finding a pair of 58 heads especially ones that won't require serious work might be a problem. In my case, refurbishining my 51FL heads will set me back about $1100. So for the time being I have gone with STD heads. You might consider the same. They can be configured to take any intake flange and exhaust connection. You'll be happy with the performance boost also.

My 02

King
pan58head

intake manifold

Post by pan58head »

Thanks for the respnse, The STD are my goal just having a little sticker shock. I just paid $1800.00 foa set of heads for my big block chevy the STD heads just seem alittle steep. I think I'm just going to have to fab up a manifold for now and ride it for the summer. I plan on tearing down to the frame next winter and going through everthing. I wish the money was there this year to tear it apart. If I live to a 120 years old I will still have unfinished projects Later SSB

Post by Guest »

pan58head, why not try a linkert? that would bolt up to a stock type intake and run just fine, plus it wouldn't look like a Frankenstein, or you could remove the threaded plumbers inserts and replace them with the o-ring type,(the plumber type inserts just thread into the head and are riveted thru the side), then just get a S&S o-ring intake and you'll be all set! Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Curses on the o-ring replacement nipples!:
You will just be spending money to make grief, and seriously depreciate the value of the hardware, only to end up with a 'band-aid' design that suffers from today's digestive fuels.

Literally hundreds of pairs of heads have been critically damaged by the difficult operation of replacing nipples, often leading to motor meltdowns.
If they work, don't fix 'em!

Making a manifold or adapter, however, is tinkertoy child's play to anyone with a torch and a hacksaw. But if you do not feel creative, adapters for modern carbs are readily available from megamart suppliers like Tedd's.

....Cotten
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Pan58head

The STD heads are a bit pricy I’d say about as much as you spent for your big block heads. Five years ago mine cost about $1600. I bought the heads bare and had my local guy do the valve work for quality control reasons. Pricy as you say but they have performed very well.

Cotton

Amen on the O Ring nipples. About 30 years ago I converted my original heads and the results were very disappointing. The inserts never seated well and leaked air. Fortunately I refrained from welding them in as I have seen done with others. But a good chunk of the change to refurbish my 51 heads will be to repair the manifold insert threads.

King
pan58head

intake manifold

Post by pan58head »

I'm hoping to set through the summer with a band aid then buy the std heads. I thought about the replacement nipples but I have the same thoughts as others if they aren't leaking I'm not touching them. I've looked in Ted's catalog I see no adaptor for a 4 bolt Linkhurt to s&s, maybe I'm just nissing it. I'm watching 3 o ring typr manifolds on e bay right now. I'm going to buy one of these and cut it at the t and weld on a flange that I just machined up. later ssb
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tedd's 35-0113 says "Bendix" but I believe that the two-bolt flange is identical.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to swap those carbs regularly back in the '70s when I didn't know better.

...Cotten
pan58head

intake manifold

Post by pan58head »

cotton I saw that but i think that the bolt pattern is off and The center hole diameter is smaller by .200 The manifold that I have is a cobbed mess that I think is a bendix manifold piece and the bolt holes have been slotted and there is a polastic adaptor that helps the flow(supposed to) You gotta love old molested panheads. I just got done working on the old girl and found a bunch more sins. I was hoping to just band aid the bike for this year but it is lokking like it is coming down to the frame . Later SSB
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

intake manifold

Post by Pantony »

pan58head; I have one of those linkert 4-bolt to bendix adaptors and I have an S&S carb on my 89 Ultra, they look close enought to fit. S&S sold a lot of carbs to guys that had bendix carbs on shovels for good reason., I think it will fit just fine.
pan58hd

intake manifold

Post by pan58hd »

Thanks for the heads up, I was just going to put a band aid on for the summer but now the pan is to the frame. I took a look at them in the ted's cat and figure I will try one before i machiine something up later SSB

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”