1949 Throttle cable type and length

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

1949 Throttle cable type and length

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I need help picking a throttle cable. I'm running 49 style bars with a Midwest internal throttle and a Super E carb. My cable is way too short. I estimate the length to be about 49" but see a 47" in J&P. Anyone else with a similar setup? Part numbers?

Thanks
Leon
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: 1949 Throttle cable type and length

Post by 1950Panhead »

500-551 is 48" made for S&S carbs.
If you need 49" get a lawnmower throttle cable from Lowes and solder the spool on.
Jerry
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

1950Panhead wrote:500-551 is 48" made for S&S carbs.
If you need 49" get a lawnmower throttle cable from Lowes and solder the spool on.
Jerry
Spoon? Is that the barrel that fits into the carb lever? Should I install a cable adjuster? 49" is my ignorant measurement. I'm sure 48" will work. It seems like once I install the throttle sleeve its going require a bit of energy to remove as its a fairly snug fit. I'd like to do this only once, or twice.
Attachments
20130209_162444.jpg
20130209_162444.jpg (276.66 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Mach1, from your photo it looks like you're using one of the aftermarket "internal throttles" where you whack off about 4" from the bar end? The 48" universal cable is pretty long and should work OK unless you have really tall risers.
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

Leon, I looked thru some of my old stuff and found a part number for you : 48-798 I'm pretty sure it's a Mid-West number. Cable will work for S&S and has an adjuster. Run the adjuster at the carb end and trim the throttle end to fit. The adjuster will help you out on your installation because you can't adjust the control wire length at the carb on an S&S like you can on a Linkert. The outer jacket on the cable is about 53" including the adjuster.

Best,
Geo.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

1950Panhead wrote:500-551 is 48" made for S&S carbs.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry but the pic shows an external dual cable set up. I'm running an internal throttle.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

old.wrench wrote:Leon, I looked thru some of my old stuff and found a part number for you : 48-798 I'm pretty sure it's a Mid-West number. Cable will work for S&S and has an adjuster. Run the adjuster at the carb end and trim the throttle end to fit. The adjuster will help you out on your installation because you can't adjust the control wire length at the carb on an S&S like you can on a Linkert. The outer jacket on the cable is about 53" including the adjuster.

Best,
Geo.
I think your right Geo. I had already ordered a 48" Universal cable. I discovered the need for an adjuster immediately when I installed it. I'll use this cable to get me running and will order the cable with adjuster.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

LEON---I to run a S&S-E on mine-(singlecable)--The returnspring on S&S is VERYGOOD,& no need for DUELCABLES!. The 47-inch you will find is to small if you want to route-it out of site & still work when turning LEFT!!.--I opted as 50PAN said-(you cant beat the BICYCLE shop!)--Any length you need with correct size BARREL for carb. & show them what you need for the spiral at the bar.Bring one that the BALL fits like a glove & they will make one up for you for $15 is what I paid!,Any cycle shop wanted $49 & up!---Also I have the slack-ADJ. mounted right at the throttle!--I took it from an old sportster cable!(works great)-just set-it & forget it!---hope this helps---respectfully---RICHIE-----I forgot to mention this cable fits just about any carb. I tried it on!
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

Richie, I believe Leon is setting up an aftermarket internal type throttle with the cable routed thru the inside of his handlebars. I'm not sure how you would mount the slack adjuster right at the throttle (inside the handlebar?) and still access it. Those throttles are a little fussy to set up, but once you get them dialed in they work OK. I put the adjuster at the carb end (S&S) on the one I did, but I think with a little bit of ingenuity and cutting and whacking you could also mount the adjuster somewhere else in the length of the cable, maybe sort of like the adjuster in the later model clutch cables.

Best,
Geo.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Geo,
I'm pretfy sure I can fit the adjuster down by the tanks out of site. I'm going out to the garage to double check the length then take it to a bike shop and a cable assy wifh an adjuster made.

Leon
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I finally got it all installed. The Mid West internal throttle didn't fit in the J&P bars so I had to hone the bars out with a cartridge roll to a snug fit. The throttle cabl case is 46" which is about 2" shorter than I'd like so I'll get a 48" cable made tomorrow. The blue tape is where the adjuster will go. The throttle itself needs to work/wear in to be smooth. Now I need to find the right grips.

58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

OLD WRENCH----THANKS for catching that for me! 8) .LEON looks like a nice routeing of the wick-cable!,--Also you can absolutly mount an adjuster against frames backbone!----Alot of the ones that are external have a 90degree bend from the throttle.--Its real easy to lose it & hide-it like you have & it will funtion flawlessly!----NICE JOB LEON-----RICHIE 8)
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

Looking good Leon, you've just about got it! As an alternative to mounting a straight adjuster where your blue tape is you might be able to mount one of the angled adjusters right at the carb. They make the 90 degree one that Richie mentions as well as a 135 degree one that would match the approach angle of your cable at the carb. You can make the end of the adjuster that would normally fit into the throttle housing fit into the cable fitting on the S&S. From where I'm sitting :) , I believe that angled adjuster would just fit in there under the pan cover flange on the head, but it usually looks different in person and up close :lol: . Actually, the way you're going about it looks nice and clean with the adjuster concealed under the tank. You've come a long way with that bike, I remember when you first got it. By the way,will a regular 1-1/8" I.D. throttle grip fit over that Midwest brand unit?

Best,
Geo.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

old.wrench wrote:Looking good Leon, you've just about got it! As an alternative to mounting a straight adjuster where your blue tape is you might be able to mount one of the angled adjusters right at the carb. They make the 90 degree one that Richie mentions as well as a 135 degree one that would match the approach angle of your cable at the carb. You can make the end of the adjuster that would normally fit into the throttle housing fit into the cable fitting on the S&S. From where I'm sitting :) , I believe that angled adjuster would just fit in there under the pan cover flange on the head, but it usually looks different in person and up close :lol: . Actually, the way you're going about it looks nice and clean with the adjuster concealed under the tank. You've come a long way with that bike, I remember when you first got it. By the way,will a regular 1-1/8" I.D. throttle grip fit over that Midwest brand unit?

Best,
Geo.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes the throttle grip is 1 1/8". Once I put a grip on it the twist ain't too bad. The carb spring pulls it back nicely. I went to a good local bicycle repair shop today looking for a cable adjuster but they don't have anything like what's used on cycles. What was more disturbing is the cable I paid $24 from a cycle shop I bought for $5 from the bicycle shop. I'm eager to get it running so I'll mod this new cable to fit the frame better and use a bicycle cable adjuster at the hand throttle to take up the little bit of slack that's in the cable.

There's not much room between the valve cover and cable bracket so there's no way to flip a bracket with a rigid adjuster. Once I install the new cable its time to install the tanks with liquids and start jumping on the kicker.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”