Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Post by gilb »

On my 53 Pan, someone put a Colony Intake on it with "O" rings. In reading in the manual, I should be able to put the heads on and then the intake. This fits so tight there is no way that can happen. I have to try to lineup the O rings and manifold as I put the head on. Does anyone have any ideas about that. I really don't like the way the clamps fit, not sure if it will leak or not. I know someone changed out the original manifold, but not sure what could be wrong here. Have attached a couple of photos, one on both sides. Thanks..gilb
Attachments
DSCN4539m.jpg
DSCN4539m.jpg (277.55 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
DSCN4536m.jpg
DSCN4536m.jpg (358.69 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Colony Intake Manifold "O" rings

Post by RUBONE »

A stock '53 uses a plumber style setup. Obviously your heads are later. But the whole clamp arrangement appears wrong (and I don't mean just because they aren't stock) what does your intake manifold look like without the clamps? It looks like you have a bare plumber style stuffed int an O-ring application!
Robbie
gilb

Post by gilb »

I don't even think I can get the clamps off for a photo. When I take them all the way loose they will not come off of the manifold, but they fit really tight and I have an o ring on each side. That is how it was when I purchased, however several things were done wrong on this bike. You think I should go back to the plumber style or get the later one made for the o rings? Thanks!
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

You have O-Ring heads so no plumber type for you. Your clamps do not look right at all though. The manifold should have a step in it the same diameter as the spigot on the heads, (the part exposed on the side of the clamp on the head side), and that does not appear to be the case. So you may have some seriously mismatched parts.
Robbie
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

This is what your manifold should look like for use with oring heads.

Notice how the flange on the manifold matches the flange on the head. The oring sits nicely between the two. Obviously my clamps are not OEM.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

My 58 has the 5 fin heads, hopefully your o rings lands on the head nipples haven’t been buggered. Crazy what folks do to them.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

The pic. that Cashcand posted is what you need!--,Once you get those clamps off-(throw em out!)--When getting new clamps you will most likely have a problem also!, as they are just a tad to wide like .060 & it really bites you in the ass!--,Alot of guys have used the 2-piece type & have success (as in the photo). Most 1-piece clamps are crap & better off used on Ex.-pipes. S&S clamps are to wide & need shaving, also the bolt is to heavy & dont tighten-up with EQUAL pressure around the o-ring!--You will have the same problem with Colony clamps although the pull on the bolt is much better in applying pressure in a circular motion. OEM are the way to go!(you can find them if you try!)--When you get the correct manifold be sure to have no more then .070 MAX. gap when placed to one side!--Smaller is better! Dont use Colony o-rings,use Viton o-rigs from JAMES! (the brown ones). The others will leak in time from the crap fuel they sell us! (ALWAYS BUBBLE-TEST for VAC.-LEAKS.) after your hooked-up!---Good-luck---RICHIE 8) 8)
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I disagree on the clamps. Factory one piece clamps work just fine if installed properly, and existed for decades before the aftermarket type. And I have seen just as many problems with the aftermarket two piece type which tend to pinch and fold o-rings if not installed carefully and prelubed to allow slip.
The biggest issue here is that the manifold and heads are mismatched and need to be corrected first no matter what clamps are used. Hopefully the lips are not damaged from the mismatch!
Robbie
gilb

Post by gilb »

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, that is a big help! I removed the old one and took some shots. I think I understand what I need now. It looks like someone put a ring insert into the Colony on the one side, then they used the hard gasket you can see in the photo to take up some of the space. There is not much area for the o ring on the other side. Looks like the heads are OK. If anyone has a pic of the original clamp, please post a photo. Thanks again!
Attachments
DSCN4542m.jpg
DSCN4542m.jpg (277.88 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
DSCN4545m.jpg
DSCN4545m.jpg (311.09 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
DSCN4540m.jpg
DSCN4540m.jpg (343.42 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Gilb!

The original strap clamps were not beautiful:
STRPCLMP.jpg
STRPCLMP.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
And not that far from what you have, although yours are stressed.

Most aftermarket replacements will do as long as they only have a #10 screw to tighten them.

Richie referred to vacuum testing, when really he meant pressure with bubbles: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

And Colony's black O-rings are inferior when exposed to modern fuels when compared to JAMES viton offering.

Good luck!

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Absolutely Robbie!--That is what I said --Factory clamps are the ones you want!--I have tried all the others & ,S7S need a 1/16 sheared off them to equal factory width clamps. Colony work a little better but there even better when you bend the bolt at its curve SLIGHTLY. After trying all or most of them on various bikes & manifolds--I cleaned my Stock clamps up nice & installation was a cinch!--Im sorry if I may have wrote something wrong!--(my BAD!).--But you cant go wrong with Factory Clamps!--(i believe its a 10/32 thread?).----Richie 8) 8)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

That part looks like wind chime material. See if you can find a good Harley part. James o rings. The problem may end up being, why was that was done? You may have to loosen the cylinders & heads to get the correct gap on the manifold. I pull everything down with the manifold installed. I know years past Chinese cylinders were incorrectly clocked enough that they were unusable. Note the lack of color on the rear intake.
gilb

Post by gilb »

Thanks again for the info. I have seen reference to intake's & clamps as "band type", "rubber band", and "O rings". Are these all referring to the same type? Thanks...gilb
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Gilb!

"Bands" are a modern thing, like '80 or so.
The clamps are fatter, and there are no lips to support the O-rings.

I wish I could view your large pics, but I must go home to a different PC...

Meanwhile, here is a pic of aftermarket clamps and the trick for assembly.
No matter what, bubble-testing is critical for finding the "sweet spot" where the assembly aligns best for sealing. Then please bend and align the carb support to mate it to the manifold without stress.

....Cotten
Attachments
MANTRICK.jpg
MANTRICK.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Old Dude has 'em
Attachments
photo(11).JPG
photo(11).JPG (113.12 KiB) Viewed 2016 times