Questions for guys running cv carbs

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Questions for guys running cv carbs

Post by Fastlane »

I am trying to set up a cv carb on my 51 pan. Currently my bike has the push throttle. How are you guys setting up your throttle linkage at the carb? Are you all using pull throttles? Will it work with a reverse spiral? I tried to set mine up with the push cable on the back side of the throttle wheel and it only open the throttle on the carb about a quarter if the way. Also , how do yo have the cable routed into the cable holder on the carb? My cable holder hits on the panheads and I cant figure out the proper way to set this up. Pics and advice wold be great! And yes, I still want to run the internal throttle. Thanks.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Questions for guys running cv carbs

Post by 1950Panhead »

Install a reverse spiral (Harley made them) or get a longer cable and come in from the back side.
Jerry
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

I tried hooking it up from the backside and it only opens the throttle about a quarter of the way. I am looking for someone actually running this setup so I can make sure the reverse spiral opens the throttle completely and how they went about the cable holder on the carb. MIne hits the panheads. Thanks.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

The amount of cable travel in the spiral is difficult to modify.
The lever on the carburetor where the cable end attaches is too long, the cable must connect closer to the throttle shaft.
Bikes: 1951FL,1958FLH,1947FL

Post by 3711 »

Fastlane,
I run a CV on my 51Pan with a pusher cable. Originally,even though I removed the carb return spring,I couldn't get full throttle. Finally,I removed the linkage to the accelerator pump and got full throttle. Apparently,the accel pump is too much for the cable to overcome. Incidently,the bike runs perfect even without the pump. I can manually tickle it for extreme cold weather(same as SU) should I need,but fact is,I haven't had to use it. Hope this helps....walt...tulsa,ok
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

3711 wrote:Fastlane,
I run a CV on my 51Pan with a pusher cable. Originally,even though I removed the carb return spring,I couldn't get full throttle. Finally,I removed the linkage to the accelerator pump and got full throttle. Apparently,the accel pump is too much for the cable to overcome. Incidently,the bike runs perfect even without the pump. I can manually tickle it for extreme cold weather(same as SU) should I need,but fact is,I haven't had to use it. Hope this helps....walt...tulsa,ok
That's great to hear and gives me some inspiration to continue on with this idea. How do you have the cable routed into the cv? How do you keep the cable from "pushing " out of the cable holder? Can you get a pic for me of how you have it set up? Thanks!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

fastlane, I also ran a CV with a REVERSE spiral grip, I replaced the hard wire that came with the spiral setup with the regular throttle cable so it would work with the linkage on the CV. You'll have to remove the unused linkage that hits the front head, The unused part is riveted on to the linkage ass. so you can carefully remove it and save it for future use if you want. Normally the cable adjuster is near the twist grip on a modern setup, on my pan I just put it down by the carb to adjust cable lenght...Mike

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”