Brake drum parts?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Cavscoutjim
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 FLH

Brake drum parts?

Post by Cavscoutjim »

So I got down to the rear axle on my project. The rear drum brake baking plate has a damaged tensioner (that square shaft on a cam that tightens and loosens the shoes on the 63-65 drum assemblies). The tensioner seems to be seized and someone before me cranked on it pretty hard stripping the top of the adjuster. Can I replace just the tensioner cam or does the entire back plate need to be replaced. Any suggestions?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Brake drum parts?

Post by Panacea »

Can you loosen them up with some kroil? The side plate assembly is Part #41650-63, no other number is shown for the adjusters, they're inserted thru the plate then munched on the outside to retain them in the plate.
Cavscoutjim
Inactive member

Post by Cavscoutjim »

I can't get a good bite on them from either side. I had to result to vice grips since they are so demolished. I even tried to use a stripped bolt extractor. The good thing is it is adjusted just right so the shoes barely fit in the drum with the apposing adjuster backed all the way out. Thanks for the info, I think I'll just roll as is for now tho and look at swaps for a new one cheap.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

You'll have to find a replacement side plate, the adjusters are for taking up any extra return travel so the brake lever action is not delayed. Each adjuster works independently from the other, to keep the shoe close to the drum...Mike
Cavscoutjim
Inactive member

Post by Cavscoutjim »

Thanks for the help, I am just going to have to man up and drop the coin for a new plate, or keep a look out at swaps for a usable take off.

Return to “Brakes”