Problem with rear brake arm?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hop Up
Bikes: 57 FLH

Problem with rear brake arm?

Post by Hop Up »

I'm on some brake rebuilding on my 57 FLH. I have a very strange problem. When replacing the rear brake arm with a new taiwan one, I noticed that they had been bent differently. Look at picture: I think that one is installed the wrong way, the side view (s-shape) should be other way around. Now the lower end of that arm is bent outwards, farther from the rim. If I turn that arm around the lower end goes closer to the rim. The strange part of the show is that the new and old arm have different bends on them, if both are installed the way that the side wiew is the same, other turns father from rim, other closer to the rim!? It is difficult to determine the right way for that part because the bike at the moment doesn't have the rim, brake drum, chains or the brake crossover shaft installed.
So, when wieving the bike from back, should the lower end of that arm turn in or out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Re: Broblem with rear brake arm?

Post by HD48FL »

Your problem is that tawain made part. When possible, use oem parts.
Hop Up

Post by Hop Up »

Yes, Taiwan is junk of course. But in or out is the right way, that's the question.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Thats the right way in the picture.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

As I recall it bends in towards the wheel with the concave part of the lower bend forward...Mike
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I'm pretty sure you have yours mounted backwards in your photo. The curve goes towards the rear of the bike and the arm should bend in towards the sprocket as you move down to the clevis attachment point. This photo shows how the arm bends in towards the sprocket...
brake1.jpg
In this photo you can see how the arm bends back towards the rear of the bike (sorry, don't have a shot showing the complete arm).

brake2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hop Up

Post by Hop Up »

Thank you for the replies, especially caschnd1 for the great pictures. I too think your arm is installed right and has the right curves. And you have done great work with your bike too.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Below is a Harley factory photo of a prototype Pan (1954 prototype with 52 engine).
Eric

Hop Up

Post by Hop Up »

Very good picture too. I have a lots of different books about HD, for example Palmer's great "How to restore ...". I wasn't able to found a picture that shows does the arm have a bend towars the rim or away from the rim. Truth is that my new Taiwan made part had the bend to the wrong direction. So I had to use the old part. The round hole in it was a little bit worn, but I'll leave it that way this time.

Return to “Brakes”