Early 58 pan rear pressed steal brake drum

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
gardy
Bikes: duo-glide Hydra-glide

Early 58 pan rear pressed steal brake drum

Post by gardy »

Are early 58 pressed steals brake drum on rear only made for this model or are they the same as the ones on early models they don't seem to come up on ebay very often ,as that is my only way in Australia of getting original parts any feed back would be greatly appreciated.Do they make after market ones.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Early 58 pan rear pressed steal brake drum

Post by 58flh »

Try J & P bike parts out of Iowa I believe it was ,I have a 58flh & they have every part you will ever need--The machine work was good And I have to admit its hard to find good chainwheels anymore but the one I got for my motorsproket looked real-good & im a machinist so I can get funny sometimes!. Anyway all my rear brake stuff was perfect from the shoes on up,(Good-Luck).58flh
gardy

Post by gardy »

Thanks for the quick response and have brought parts from J&P before will check their catalog also being a machinist my self I am fussy with what I buy thanks. Steve
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day Gardy,

I'm confused do you mean backing plate or the drum? The backing plate and the drum are a pair.
58-63/64 is one set, 63/64-73 is the other set. I think they increased the width of the shoe a little
Could be confusing if you have one of each from different sets.

No, this type of hydraulic brake don't fit earlier ridged frames, but lots of people have made them fit.
I don't think anyone would fit a mechanical brake to a Duo-Glide, but you never know!!

Cheers
Pete
gardy

Post by gardy »

I am talking about the brake drum which has the sprocket riveted too it.Quoting from Greg Fields Restoration guide he says most 58 Panheads made before 58FL3441 were fitted with these pressed steel brake drums it was 8" diameter and the brake shoes are 1 5/8" wide, with special linings to work with steel hubs. As my 58 is a lower number I am hoping to get the correct brake for it I have just checked J&P Cycles and they only list the cast iron ones there is one on ebay in Germany at the moment but they are asking over $300 for it plus postage which I can't afford ( wife would kill me) a guy I know says he has one for me but I have been waiting for 4 years ,I only see him once a year at one swap meet . I am currently running a 67 brake and wheel till I get the right one. thanks for listening. Steve
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Tes, those are not common. Are you looking for original? The early '58, accordiny to Palmer were the stamped steel, narrow shoe, with the dust ring riveted on with the sprocket. The letters are raised, not stamped. He says the shoes are not interchangeable for the early ones, either. I might just have some of those parts, but don't count on it. I am busy now, but will look soon to see.
Mike
gardy

Post by gardy »

Thanks mike hope you are able to find it when you have time to look. Steve
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

I'll let you know.
Mike
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

OK, I checked those drums. According to Palmer, the one early hydraulic drum I have is late '58-'62. The raised lip is part of the drum, and he says on the early '58 ones it was riveted on with the sprocket. He also says the later shoes don't work with the ealy '58 drum. I don't know if this is because of the composition of the drum, or because it might have an curved edge on the wheel side like the earlier mechanical ones. Sorry I couldn't help.
Mike
gardy

Post by gardy »

Thanks very much Mike for checking for me, looks like I give this other guy a try in November when I see him next if I don't do any good I will have to fit the later 58 brake set up thanks again for trying . Steve

Return to “Brakes”