Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

welded up brake drum??

Post by neilw »

I found my old style hubs had wear on all of them and sent a post with pics the other day .Since then I was checking to see what causes the wear since the worn surface is completly covered by the drum. As I placed the drum over the hub to confirm this I noticed welding on the drum. Someone welded the inner part of the drum to the outer. You can see where the electrode was dragged across the outer surface on its way to do the spot welds. .The inside of the drum has burn marks from excessive heat and would have caused distortion welts on the inside , You can see all this in my attached pic. But since all three of my unused wheels have the same wear on the hubs, and this drum could only have been on one of them, I have to conclude that its likely someone was cursing as he changed a flat tire ,and with a sigh of releif picked the wheel up out of the dirt it laid in and reinstalled the it without thinking about greasing or cleaning the old grease out .
Have any of you checked your wheel hubs for wear ?? funny I would have three all worn. These wheels are all of different bikes owned by different people.
Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: welded up brake drum??

Post by RUBONE »

That is not the source as the hub and drum are locked together and there is no movement. If the lugs all fell out and all five dowels failed it would spin. Weld distortion or not!
Look at FRONT brakes and how they attach. Then imagine failed or improperly attached springs and the earlier responses start to make sense!
Robbie
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: welded up brake drum??

Post by neilw »

I never thought of checking the front drum. Thanks.

Return to “Brakes”