Help? Questions about swapping back to juice rear drum...

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Luke
Inactive member
Bikes: 47 knuck
59 pan
62 pan
64 pan
68 Triumph t100r
73 Triumph t140v

Help? Questions about swapping back to juice rear drum...

Post by Luke »

I'm going to swap out the later squre disc swingarm that a previous owner put on my 64 pan for a round swingarm with a juice drum.

I bought this swingarm and juice drum from a guy on another forum.

Can someone help me identify what else I'll need? Will the square swingarm axle work with the round setup? It looks like I'll need a hydraulic brake axle sleeve. Can I just hook up my current brakeline straight to the drum? He said the drum is 58-63 is this right? I thought the juice drum was 63-66?

Sorry for the newby questions. After I tackle this its on to a tapered leg left drum front end...

thanks.

Luke
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Help? Questions about swapping back to juice rear drum...

Post by RUBONE »

Luke,
The juice brakes cam out in '58. There are several drums and backing plates over the years. The first type is '58 to '62 and is narrower in width than the later ones. The '63-'66 is the wide style for star hubs. The '67 to '72 style is for the newer hub and carries bearings in the drum. Each type needs the specific spacers and sleeves for the series. The axle you have for the disc will not work, the juice axle is stepped for the spacers. You will also have to change the internal parts of your master cylinder to work with the drum as opposed to the disc. There is a valve in it that is different that maintains line pressure.
Get a parts book, study it!
Robbie
Luke
Inactive member
Bikes: 47 knuck
59 pan
62 pan
64 pan
68 Triumph t100r
73 Triumph t140v

Post by Luke »

Thanks. Is there any way I can identify the year it is?
RUBONE wrote:Luke,
The juice brakes cam out in '58. There are several drums and backing plates over the years. The first type is '58 to '62 and is narrower in width than the later ones. The '63-'66 is the wide style for star hubs. The '67 to '72 style is for the newer hub and carries bearings in the drum. Each type needs the specific spacers and sleeves for the series. The axle you have for the disc will not work, the juice axle is stepped for the spacers. You will also have to change the internal parts of your master cylinder to work with the drum as opposed to the disc. There is a valve in it that is different that maintains line pressure.
Get a parts book, study it!
Robbie
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Luke,
The '58 to '62 backing plate will slide down inside the drum. The '63 to '72 backing plate has a formed lip around it and sits on the outside of the drum. The '63 to '66 drum has a large opening to fit over the hub. The '67 to '72 is much smaller and is designed for two wheel bearings to be pressed in.
Robbie
panpered
Inactive member

Post by panpered »

V-twin sells a complete kit that has the axle, spacers, nuts. What you show is 58-62. Just keep in mind that it is spaced for the star hub, so you if your wheel is not setup with the star hub you will either need to change it (there are aftermarket hubs that run Timken bearings), or you may have to modify the spacing, which I would not mess with.

Good luck, David

Return to “Brakes”