Glide Front Brake Assembly

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Glide Front Brake Assembly

Post by Hauula Pan »

I'm hoping someone can answer 4 questions I have about assembling a glide front brake. 1. Is there supposed to be a bushing in the side plate where the pivot stud goes through? I have a new brake kit from V-Twin and there is a big difference between the diameter of the stud and the hole in the side plate which just seems wrong, but I've never had stock brakes before, I always ran a disc setup in the past. 2. The pivot stud locating washer has grooves in it and I need to know if they face the stud or the side plate? 3. The flat washer & lock washer that go on the pivot stud. I've always assembled parts that use a lock washer by putting a flat washer on first, then the lock washer, then the nut. But The H.D. manual shows the lock washer then the flat washer then the nut. I think this is wrong, shouldn't the flat washer go first? 4. What is the small hole in the side cover below the axle hole for? Any help will be appreciated and pictures would really really really be appreciated. Thanks.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Glide Front Brake Assembly

Post by RUBONE »

Here you go!
1, No bushing. Before tightening the axle and side plate work the lever and rock the bike around. Hold the lever on while tightening. this allows the shoes to center in the drum.
2, To go along with above, washer ribs toward drum to lock it in place after centering.
3, washer, lockwasher, nut. Same as your normal practice.
4, The hole is merely a vent, to allow any moisture that gets in to evaporate.
Be aware that a well set up stock brake is nothing top brag about. The old saying is "if you want to speed up, apply the front brake"!
Have fun :D
Robbie
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Glide Front Brake Assembly

Post by Hauula Pan »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have one more question I forgot to include earlier. The V-Twin kit has 2 washers that fit the cam-lever stud and it appears they show one under the cam-lever and one on top of the cam-lever just under the cotter pin. But the H.D. book only shows the one under the cotter pin. If I put the washer on the stud then install the cam-lever and the second washer, I can't get the cotter pin through the hole. If I remove the washer from under the cam-lever and put the cam-lever directly on the stud and just use one washer on top of the lever the cotter pin slides through easily. So does the kit just have an extra washer or does one actually belong under the lever?

Return to “Brakes”