Front brake cable

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
imboden
Inactive member

Front brake cable

Post by imboden »

So I had to buy a new front brake cable for my 51 pan. The old hand control and cable didn't have anything extra on it. I'm wondering if I got the right cable or not, because the cable end just goes right into my hand lever. Shouldn't there be some type of metal up there where the cable meets the lever? Does anybody have a photo I can see how this thing is suppose to look?
thanks for puting up with me.
Pat
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: Front brake cable

Post by DuoDave »

I had the same thing when I came to fit the front brake cable to my pan. It didn't look right to me, so I used a ferrule off an old Brit bike cable I had lying around. I had to open it up a bit to fit the bigger Harley cable, but it tidies up the cable end where it enters the hand lever.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I had the same problem with the cable I got from Kick Start #3116. I called them up and he offered to send me one with the ferrule for free, I just found an old ferrule I had saved and hacksawed a slot on the side and put it on the end of the cable, done deal....But they did have one with the ferrule, apparently a 51 isn't supposed to need one...Mike
imboden
Inactive member

Post by imboden »

thanks much for the help. what a wonderful place. right now my pan is at my local fix-it shop gettin my compression checked. I guess the rear cylinder is low, which would make sense since the rear valve was stuck. I sprayed break-free in there and tapped on the top with a hammer until it moved. still a long ways to go on this, but I'm gettin there piece by piece.

before
004.jpg
After

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
62duoglide

Post by 62duoglide »

Beautiful!

What is the exhaust system you used? Did you shorten it or is that the length it came?

Thanks.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey pat,

very nice bike!

ever consider full size tires?

john
imboden
Inactive member

Post by imboden »

thanks for the compliments guys. I used the stock type exhaust system, 2 into 1 with the flex covers.

john- what do you mean by full size? isn't 16 the stock size? that's the size that was on it when I got it. so I guess I just assumed that was stock. when it's time for a change I'm probably going to go back to blackwall. the white looks ok, but I think black will be a bit better.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Pat,
Not all 16" tires have the same outside diameter. One of the most common modern 16" touring bike tires is the MT90-16 and are a lower profile (smaller diameter) than the original equipment 5.00 x 16 that came on the bike. The 90 indicates that the sidewall height is 90% of the tread width, or something like that, so the modern tires will be roughly 10% smaller in diameter than the originals.

The retro style tires sold by Coker and others are made from the original molds or copies of the original molds and are full height. They fill the fender so to speak and make the bike appear as it did when it was new.

mike
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

And for Hack drivers, if you install these metric sizes or 5.10 tires, the kicker will hit the pavement before the kicker gears clear. Ouch.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

pat,

as mike pointed out not all 16" tires are equal, i run the avon SMII tires. unlike the cokers they are DOT approved and allow you to corner without hitting the primary or floor boords on the pavement. they work well in the rain too boot.

all it does is allow you to enjoy your bike fully!

excellent looking bike, makes my rusty old exhaust look pretty shabby!

john :mrgreen:
imboden
Inactive member

Post by imboden »

thanks very much fellas. I had no idea! I've found that I know LOTS, but I also have LOTS to learn :)
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

The picture below is from one of my H-D parts catalogs: #45033-49 is a hand lever clamp bushing; #6543 is a brake hand lever washer; and #512 is a 1/16" x 5/8" cotter pin. Eric
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Eric,
I think what Pat was wondering about is if there was anything, like a ferrule, that went on the open end of the outer control coil before you stuck it into the 45023-41 bracket. Most of the new cables just come with a raw end on the jacket and it is kind of a sloppy fit in the handle bar bracket.

If you can find a ferrule with an inside diameter large enough to slip over the coil and an outside diameter small enough to snuggly fit inside the hole in the bracket and a center hole which is large enough to allow the inner cable to slide smoothly you could put one on there. Of course you would have to do it first because you would have to pull the inner cable all the way out of the jacket, put it through the ferrule, and slide the inner cable back into the jacket. Or you could slot the ferrule and put it on after everything is already installed.

mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I just slotted the ferule, but it was a mousetrap clutch cable, a mind is a terrible thing to waste......Mike
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Mike/FlatHeadSix, thanks for the clarification. I had wondered about that but because Pat referred to the cable end going right into the hand lever, as opposed to into the lever bracket, I thought maybe the parts I mentioned above were missing from the assembly.

Pat, sorry if I confused the issue. I've posted part of another page below and control coil assembly #45073-51 is listed for use on all 1951 models but you'll notice an accompanying ferrule isn't shown and there isn't one listed. Control coil ferrule #45109-30 is listed for use on later 1930 to 1948---all models; and 1949 to 1957---all W and G models. Control coil ferrule #45109-49 is shown on another page and is listed for use on 1949 to 1957---61" and 74" twins but it is shown attached to front brake control cable #45137-51 and that appears to be an inner cable. Eric

Return to “Brakes”