Rear mechanical brake grease fitting

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Kuda
Bikes: *

Rear mechanical brake grease fitting

Post by Kuda »

Author: kuda

Keep seeing a rear mechanical drum brake set up with grease fitting on the back of the pivot shaft at swap meets. Tried to track down the part number to order it (to replace my taiwan chrome jobby that's worn out), but I can't seem to track it down. Even ordered a new one from V-Twin, but it came without the grease fitting. I know it's a possible danger (over greasing = no brakes), but I'm trying to make this bike as easy to maintain on the road as possible... Any ideas? Thanks!

-Kuda
'49 FL (mostly)

Post by panzr4ever

Kuda, why not go with the swap meet special and just not over grease the part?

Post by kuda

Good question. But the problem is I've a got a fresh drum, backing plate, and shoes that I'm using, all I need is the pivot stud with the grease fitting. And the ones I see are usually complete drum/backing plate sets. The last one, a well used one at the AMCA meet in Oley, PA, was going for $350, and the sprocket was shot AND welded on for that price. No thanks. If I can find just the pivot, it's worth it, but not if I have to replace the whole drum and backing plate. If I can even get a part number, I can see about ordering one...

-Kuda
'49 FL

Post by Panhead

What is the partnumber you are looking for?

Post by panacea

kuda, why not install a grease zerc in the one you have?...MW

Post by gearbox

That may be what someone has done to the one at the meet.

Post by kuda
What is the partnumber you are looking for?
Um...that's the problem, I NEED a part number. But I may be slightly mistaken: I'm not sure now if the part I'm looking for is a different pivot stud, or a different backing plate. I finally found a picture of one on Ebay, but the pictures are crappy and I can't tell if the extra meat and fitting are part of the backing plate or a different stud entirely...
Oh, and as for making one, the standard pivot stud doesn't have enough meat on it to accept a hole and fitting. The one I'm trying to find is about twice as big around o the back side of the backing plate.

-Kuda
'49 FL

Post by panzr4ever

Kuda, sent you a pm yeasterday...May have what you are looking for. Dave
And, I dont believe it is aftermarket. Had it since 76 when I picked up a basket-case pan that I built into a chop and put a disc on the back rather than the traditional drum. Long since sold the chop but kept the backing plate for some reason. Compared it to the one on my 49 EL and it looks exaclty the same.

Post by kuda

Dave,

Just got your message (always forget to check that) and replied. Thanks!

-Kuda

Post by panzr4ever

Kuda, found the pivot stud as well. Stuff should be coming your way Saturday at the latest.

Post by panzr4ever

Kuda, stuff sent. Tried to contact you but got blocked by your spam wall. Sent explanation so hopefully it got unblocked and got through to you. If not let me know and I will mail you via US Post Office

Post by kuda

Got the part, thanks so much for your help! Great doing business with you...

-Kuda
'49 FL
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Rear mechanical brake grease fitting

Post by 58flh »

I just wanted to let you know I just got a rear backing-plate from J&P Cycles it has the grease fitting your looking for the price was$112.00 for the black powdercoated one--they also sell one in chromefor $20 more.I went with the black--who sees the chrome with chain-oil splatter & your leather saddlebags on anyway!. The fit was perfect I did not even have to ream-out the bushing. The grease fitting is made of stainless & has the 90-degree turn so nothings in the way!!!.(oh yea anything over a hundred dollar order---the shippings free it took 5 days to get because they were out of them.--the orders usually come in 2 days!) hope i helped you out --Good-Luck 58flh:
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Rear mechanical brake grease fitting

Post by 58flh »

58flh wrote:I just wanted to let you know I just got a rear backing-plate from J&P Cycles it has the grease fitting your looking for the price was$112.00 for the black powdercoated one--they also sell one in chromefor $20 more.I went with the black--who sees the chrome with chain-oil splatter & your leather saddlebags on anyway!. The fit was perfect I did not even have to ream-out the bushing. The grease fitting is made of stainless & has the 90-degree turn so nothings in the way!!!.(oh yea anything over a hundred dollar order---the shippings free it took 5 days to get because they were out of them.--the orders usually come in 2 days!) hope i helped you out --Good-Luck 58flh:
oh-yea I forgot to mention it was a Paughco backing-plate--at least its made in u.s.a.,--58flh

Return to “Brakes”