Front brake upgrade

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Front brake upgrade

Post by 57Kicker »

Is there a do-able way to remove the front drum brake assembly from a '58 and replace with a disc set up?
I was hoping to keep the original wheel by bolting a disk-brake rotor on to the 5 star hub somehow. Then, I would make a bracket to hold the calaper and bolt it on where the original drum brake was anchored. Then maybe use the fender mounts as well for the bracket.
Could the forks be used with this kind of set up? I wonder.
Has anyone else converted the front end to a disk > brake set up?
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Re: Front Brake Upgrade

Post by suicideshovel65 »

interesting typo at the end there mate!
I have seen disk brake conversions that bolt into the fender mount holes, and they turn up on ebay.
I personally think you might be better off getting a set of shovel wideglide sliders (that mounted the "banana" calipers) - they look practically the same but have the mounts for a caliper support cast in. The banana calipers don't stop all that great, but you can mount aftermarket calipers there too. Check diameters and everything first though! I use a complete early disk wideglide on my bike with the fork protectors and everything and it looks period whilst delivering better stopping power.
I also picked up a starhub to disk rotor part off ebay that was apparently a one year only part. It looks like a mini-hub / spacer Try checking for the last year starhubs were used / first year disks were offered and you might have luck. Haven't used it yet so can't comment any further on it though sorry.
45partsdepot is also apparently bringing out a twin leading shoe drum soon too if you want to retain standard appearance but get a bit better stopping power.

Cheers,

S.
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Post by 57Kicker »

Suicideshovel65,
Thanks for your input. That helps me...
WirePan

Post by WirePan »

I'm been watching the 45partsdepot site and I like their "dual cam" front brake setup. Looks pretty stock and works a whole lot better. Pricing seems fair.

WirePan
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I think nostoliacycle used to sell these. Or maybe suicideshovel65 can get us some measurements from his part as I am interested also . I will see if a friend of mine can machine one if its not to complicated. Regards MB
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

I'll try and get some pics of the part if I can (no camera at the moment). Otherwise someone with a parts book might be able to post a scan? It may take me some time before I can do this.
My next purchase will be a GMA or similar caliper to replace the banana caliper I have now...

Cheers,

S.

Return to “Brakes”