how long should my 59 pan front brake cable be ?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

how long should my 59 pan front brake cable be ?

Post by neilw »

I'm working on the front brakes on my 59 pan that I'm assembling from 2 basket cases . The front brake cable comes up through a straight ( not curved over the fender like in 1960) tube that fits into the brake housing .I have an old one that doesn't seem right . This tube measures about 14 inches long over all, the cable housing ajusting bolt goes into the top of it ,and the cable housing goes from that ajusting bolt to the hand-brake lever. I'm wondering if mine is shorter than it's suposed to be ..the tube is about 14 inches long and the outer brake cable housing is around 28 inches. when I assembled it it works but since the dealer say his outer cable housing is 48 inches long I'm double checking with you guys on this .Can someone with a 59 or 58 stock pan pleas measure these 2 things for me .Thanks
VT

Re: how long should my 59 pan front brake cable be ?

Post by VT »

I think the 14" length is stock for pre-'60. Subtract 6" from the 33-1/4" cable length on mine and that ought to be (27-1/4") about right. Wait for someone with an OE machine and see what they have.
8" from tube flare to tube end for a jockey shift.
I ran a tape along the centerline of the cable which measured 33-1/4" or 33-1/2" tip end inclusive.
You can see the top end of this 8" tube. Use a tubing cutter if you want it tits, but it will waste a copper pipe cutting wheel. Use a old wheel if you have one.
Imo, the OEM 14" is too long, to not be supported in mid-air, that far beyond the fender clip.
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: how long should my 59 pan front brake cable be ?

Post by neilw »

Thanks for the reply ,I think I'm going to leave it at 14 inches. I'm not building this bike to be exactly as original in every little tiny detail,although besides the length of this cable tube I guess it will be original 1959.

Return to “Brakes”