Mechanical brake shoes (w/ o.s. linings)

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Mechanical brake shoes (w/ o.s. linings)

Post by VintageTwin »

Oversized In Ohio
I decided to purchase a set of V-Twin shoes instead of re-lining my old ones because I’m lazy that way. They assembled nicely to my backing plate but are to big to fit into my stock drum. I don’t have a set of calibers to measure the exact amount, but I’d guess them to be about 1/32 to big. Anyone ever run into this problem? Machining the drum is not an option for me. I refuse to alter an original part to fit an after-market part. What are my options? Thanks for any ideas.
I had the same problem. The linings are over-size. It's an old practice in the m/c industry called * "No Scrape Law" (It means nothing is thrown away, everything is sold to the customer. And if the customer returns it, they will try and sell it to the next customer until someone buys the o.s. shoes, walks over to his lathe and turns them down himself. That's what V-Twin is counting on, that a full size machine shop will eventually buy the oversize linings and they'll never see the o.s. shoes again.) The only way to cure your problem is:
1. Send the entire backing plate with shoes, to http://VintageBrake.com/ where it can be put completely assembled on a lathe and the linings reduced, or
2. Buy new shoes w/ correct linings from Kick-Start M/C (616) 245-8991
You didn't know this before, but everyone should know it now.....Never buy OHV rear mechanical brake shoes from V-Twin. One of the few lingering parts they still sell that don't fit.

(not shown) - Yours had a retail price on the back of the card. Maybe it was old stock.
Wouldn't matter if it was, if the part fit.

* Actually on the manufacturers end, they are unknowingly banking gobs of bad karma trying to run people around, instead of walking over to the bin and emptying it.
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Mechanical Brake Shoes (w/ o.s. linings)

Post by old1955 »

Mr VT you're getting a bit exited there mate!

There is no such thing as a oversized brake shoe, there is only an oversized lining.

Take the shoes that have the oversized lining on them, loose with the backing plate, (springs removed) and
the drum to most brake shops show them you problem, and ask them to radius the shoes to fit the drum.
They will put the shoes, after measuring the diameter of the drum in a shoe radiusing
machine and vola !! perfect! This takes less takes 5 mins with a competent person, if you pay more than 5 bucks your getting ripped off.

Then the shoes fit the drum perfectly and you get max braking area of lining on the drum surface. Easy!!

I also think you're right about V-Twin, I always say "don't buy re-pop, fix the real part"

Good on ya VT
Pete
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

this should be attached to my other post but I wasn't logged in. So its two parts!

I forgot to login ... I think all would realize that oversized linings are for oversized brake drums. So if your drum is machined out
make sure you know how much. All (most) brake shops have a drum measuring gizzmo and you'll get within a thou, then its
easier to match the lining. I can't think of the maximum for rear drums but most drums have a maximum
diameter they can be machined out too. I know front drums (49-70) 8 inch, 0.040 " is approx the maximum( you could push that a bit
maybe to 50 thou).
You may find the max oversize stamped inside of the drum. Later drums have it.

Here is something else I do. With front Glide brake drums I always get very SOFT linings to put on the shoes.Make sure the drum
has a nice flat machined surface. Don't use Harley linings or equivalents as there way to hard. The rear brake is not so important,
but don't neglect it. Braking work percentages, are around 90% front, and 10% rear. that front brake is crucial.
(You chopper dudes with no front brake are in trouble! ha! ha! ) :)

Then radius the shoes as mentioned in the other post, the result is a Glide with a real front brake. Sure they don't last but
they stop, and you still get about 30,000 miles out of them before change over. I keep a spare set ready to go and there not
V-Twin rubbish. They're Harley shoes with the soft lining!

Good brakes and good tires and you got the best chance, when chance comes along! :D

Pete
Last edited by old1955 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

They're not my rear "shoes" or linings. They belong to O.S. in O.Hi.O.
I posted that "quote" as a common repop problem with V-Twins linings on rear mech. shoes, as "traffic cones", to steer people away from this particular V-Twin part.

O.S. in Ohio cured his problem with a deep bed lathe and a four-jaw chuck. Not many hobby-builders have such a lathe. So, buying the shoes from Kick-Start is one way to avoid the problem and proceed.

Post by Guest »

The BEST way to do a Proper brake job is to have the linings a little thick and grind them to fit on a Brake Shoe Grinder!
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

The pads being oversize was not the only problem with the V-twin shoes. I also needed to grind away some weld which was preventing the pivot stud retainer cover from seating far enough to allow the cotter pin to be inserted.

An auto shop can only dress the pads down equally to a given size. They may fit into the drum ok but they will not be concentric to the axle due to the way the shoes are manufactured and designed to work. Only by machining the pads true and square to the axle centerline can you be sure everything is concentric when assembled.

The black magic marker around pivot stud area is where I needed to dremmel away some weld.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Brakes”