Hydraulic repro reardrum brakes?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bellflower

Hydraulic repro reardrum brakes?

Post by bellflower »

Hi..

Anyone here knows where to find a "look a like original" hydraulic rear drum brakes for my
FLH-62? The frame i have is a older BT solid frame.
Saw resently a german bike with a really nice hydraulic rear brake system.
I have of course done some aftermarket part research but could'nt find what i'm looking for.
Need also the master brake cylinder and the foot control aswell.

Anyone who might know where to find it?

/ B
xnoahx

Re: Hydraulic repro reardrum brakes?

Post by xnoahx »

http://www.jpcycles.com
They probably have what you need
bellflower

Post by bellflower »

xnoahx wrote:http://www.jpcycles.com
They probably have what you need
Tnx.. xnoahx

/ B
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Aftermarket? Why? Original too good fur 'ya? :roll:

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

I dont see you offering a source for original parts

Post by Guest »

xnoahx wrote:I dont see you offering a source for original parts
Whoa, little fella...didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there :lol:

My little ditty was more of a suggestion than a cut! I know you're fairly new to your Pan, I remember when you first came on board...all I'm suggesting here, Son ...is that OEM is much better than aftermarket...just an experienced suggestion, nothing more!

But if you look at many places here on the Board, there are places that give your great ideas as to where to find OEM parts! For example, go to LINK/OTHER, then go to COMMERCIAL and you will see a complete list of dealers.

Or had you asked for OEM, you might have had a host of members directing you to same. VT here on the board is heavy into VTwin parts and he uses those very parts and could help you out immeasureably should you stick to aftermarket! I, on the other hand have a complete OEM hydraulic rear brake set-up I'd be willing to consider selling to you...is that a suggestion for OEM or WHAT? PM if you want to discus buying that...not pushing it on you by the way 8)

Can't do it all for you...it just takes some research OR asking for the right help! :roll:

No, if you aren't too upset with me, may I again suggest you consider OEM...good old American Hydraulic brake systems, which are great systems by the way, are WAY better than aftermarket parts...but Hey, it's your call there Buddy! :wink:
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Oops! That last "Guest" post was me! Sorry...thought I WAS logged in :roll: AND, my "Whoa, little fella" was directed at xnoahx :shock:
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I would like to find an OEM Rear drum for my 59 but can't find one. Anyone have one for sale?
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

ozwick86 wrote:I would like to find an OEM Rear drum for my 59 but can't find one. Anyone have one for sale?
Mark,

Not that it's anything you might want BUT I have a 58-64 drum set up, aftermarket for sure, BUT it takes the 67-72 REAR hydraulic shoes and backing plate 'cause the drum is deeper than the original 58-64 drum! It's used and looks original but we know better! It's set up to mount to the Star Hub rather than the '67-72 hub. I love this one 'cause it lets me use the slightly wider brake shoes! But, I'm sorry, I personally don't have that earlier drum...Have you tried NOS Parts (I think that's the business name, not sure though!) that many here use...get the part number you need and get into his site...you'll need the part number to look it up and check availability!

I'm going to Tenino, Washington's AMCA meet next weekend...shall I look for one for you? Dumb question ;) ...I'll look anyway!

Hey, how's life?

Jim in seattle "1950 Bobber"
keiser

Post by keiser »

I looked for over a year for a 58-62 original rear drum. Never did find anything. And even if you do, you pay top dollar and when it arrives, it is wore out because no one ever wants to tell you the measurement on the drum. I think a lot of people tossed the stock setup to go with the 63-up setup since it had bigger brake shoes.
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

There are two erly 60's pan rear brake drumes on ebay right now. One is a 63 with good looking sprocket, looks like OME, ending in less than two days, 19.95 no bids yet. I know that some guys don't like ebay but I have always buying there.

Robert
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks for the replies. As I told John HD, I would like to stay with the stock drum and not sure if I should purchase a repop drum or go with the newer setup with the wider brake shoes?? Any bad comment on the repop drums? Where to get the best one?

Thanks
VT

Post by VT »

Here's the thing with brakes as I know it. It's too much of a crap shoot buying them from anyone who doesn't actually own a Panhead. You want the best repop available. I bought rigid brake shoes from V-Twin once and the linings were o.s.
I won't buy brake shoes from V-Twin again.
If you want to get it right the first time, call Kick-Start M/C Parts. (616) 245-8991 (10-5 EST). Don't dick with brake drums or shoes. Buy them from someone who speaks "Panhead". Purchase your products, take them out of the shipping box, install them on your machine and move on from there. For your '59, you want pressed steel. Got shoes? Buy them from Kick-Start and no worries. You want Harley-Davidson oil? Buy it from V-Twin. Do not buy brake shoes from V-Twin, or you'll be sorry you did. More V-Twin employees should build and ride Panheads to work. Once a month is "drive your Panhead to work day"... we'd start seeing some changes then.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
p.s. Cast iron brake drums are heavy, and probably require a special shoe lining. Awful. They'll warp sitting on a stock room shelf. Forget about putting used OEM brake drums on a Big Twin. The repop item has been wear tested and awarded the coveted "good" seal of approval. With brakes, you actually need to speak to the real thing. You have to know exactly what type of backing plate you have '37-57 or '58-62 or '63-up, or be able to quickly describe your '58-62 backing plate as "keyhole" shape between two 1/4" bolt holes. Backing plate dictates shoe type.

Don't call these people with some mix and match group of different year parts you're trying to make work - they'll hang up the phone on you.

Return to “Brakes”