Stock front brake cable tube and adjuster

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dj

Stock front brake cable tube and adjuster

Post by dj »

Stock "replica" Hydra Glide brake......
Ok. I got everything I was suppose to get.....I am assuming the top of the tube is supposed to be threaded to accept the adjuster's screw?

IT's NOT! >

Or am I missing something? I have the cable which obviously fits into the adjuster nicely....where does the adjuster screw go? The frikkin' tube that goes into the brake backing plate does not have any threads inside the top. Is it suppose to?

Dave
dj

Re: Stock front brake cable tube and adjuster

Post by dj »

I finally found a good pic of the setup.

Taiwan Tedd! >:(

The tube is suppose to be threaded.
Toymaster

Post by Toymaster »

Interesting.. I believe the tube is NOT threaded?
The 'adjuster nut' on the top rim of the tube keeps it where you want it..
My 62 isn't threaded there.. [or is stripped.. I doubt that tho]
Where is this pic? can you post a link?
Thanks!
Charlie

Edit just went out and looked at mine.. it'll lift out of the tube [I can't see the inner tube whether it is threaded[or stripped] without disassembly ] there are 2 nuts on the adjuster[to lock it..] also..

Looked at a few pics and manuals they all call for the adjuster nut AND a lock nut, [which if the tube were internally threaded at the top it would only need one 'lock' nut.. not 2 nuts?]
the bottom end also is like a 'flare' fitting that screws into the brake backing plate right?
I really doubt that tube could be properly threaded [too thin..]at the top
Maybe some repops are tho?..
dj

Post by dj »

ToyMaster

Yes. Maybe you are right. I'm not at the garage so I can't see how it's suppose to go together. I shouldn't have jumped the gun.

Thanks.

Dave
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

The tube is not threaded at the top. The brake back plate should be threaded. What you should have is the tube, an adjuster screw with nut and lock nut and also a nut that slides down the tube and locks the flared end into the back plate.
dj

Post by dj »

The problem I have is that the adjuster screw does not fit down into the tube. It's too big. This is why I assumed it should be threaded, which seems like a good idea anyway, if the tube were a little thicker. I didn't understand that the screw should just slip down into the tube....which it does not......
The tube does have the bend and the fitting at the bottom, but the screw will not fit in the top at all. Therefore it is not possible to have any adjustment at all.

I checked, and there are no burrs on the rim that could be filed down to fit.
I'm going to return it to the shop I ordered it from, and they can deal with V-Twin about it.

Thanks for your replies because it did clarify how it should be.

Dave
dj

Post by dj »

I found a solution!
I found a slightly larger pipe that has OD threads at each end and about 3" long. A compression fitting on one end allows me to clamp on to the tube that I have, and the adjuster screw will slip down inside the pipe.

Not "correct", but it will work. I don't want to wait for the correct part to put my front wheel on.

I'm at work and I can't log in.....
gordon

Post by gordon »

Yes the tiwain parts never want to fit right , mine had the same problem the way I fixed it was I put the threaded adjuster in the drill press (not too tight its hollow) and at medium speed I used sandpaper to take down the threads a little till it fit in the tube (the top of the tube had to be de-bured a bit also) the two adjuster nuts were a little loose after all this but they tightened down just fine.
dj

Post by dj »

gordon.....

Thanks...It let's me know I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I might wind up doing it your way because the idea I had is not going to work like I thought. The compression fitting I have is not going to work because the tube is metric or something, and it won't squeeze up tight.
My son actually suggested grinding the threads down also....So I will probably go that route.

Thanks again.
gordon

Post by gordon »

yes i had a problem also with the brake cable tube being loose in the backing plate after i tightened the furel nut but i found out i left out the front brake cable tube seat ( HD part # 45207-49) It's a very small part easily overlooked
Toymaster

Post by Toymaster »

So where do you think the problem actually was? the adjuster or the tube? Are you using the original adjuster?
Is the tube chromed?[could be the prob..]
I have to change mine soon and want to get a tube and adjuster that fit [ I have got a NOS adjuster on the way, but need a tube still]
Thanks..
dj

Post by dj »

The tube is chromed but its way too smaller than the thickness of chrome.
Do yourself a favor and order yours from NOS PARTS.
I now see the ones they sell are made in the USA.
I should have ordered from them in the first place, and will probably do so if I can't get it to work right.

You would think that when you buy a kit it should at least fit together. JUNK!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

As I have posted before, I don't care if a part is made on the moon as long as it is quality,...

But Tedd's stuff has taken quite a turn for the worst in the last couple of years: simple hardware that I would stock with confidence has now been replaced with garbage, and I must shop elsewhere.
I used to buy $300 a week from V-TWIN weekly for years, but now I might make a minimal order once a month, maybe.
And then, only for items with recognized brand names (Beware "Sifton" and "Gary Bang" have been reduced to very bad jokes.)

Beware also of intermediate distributors that only put out a catalog of their own, and then send you the same crap. J&P and Fog Hollow come to mind.

The up and coming vintage providers such as NOS Parts and 45 Parts Depot have much more at stake, and value their reputations accordingly. It pays to shop around; You get what you pay for; and bigger is not always better are truisms that still apply.

Your best insurance is to find a local reputable independent shop that will order for you, and absorb the grief of returns and 'quality control'. You may spend a little more, (sometimes less,) but the savings on your stomach lining will be worth it. Playing with your machines should be fun.

(Disclaimer: Liberty does almost NO across the counter sales! I got outa that bag for obvious reasons.)
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

;)Wait a minute...hold da phone...hold da phone. Whazza matter your front brake cable? The all-threaded cup has ....a-w-w-w-w. It's too hard to explain. Let me know if you want to see a pix of it. That's a procedure you better get right from the git-go or you'll be dealing with trying to re-thread a frayed cable into a series of holes and for sure poke your finger. :D
dj

Post by dj »

I fixed it.

I used a 3" small galvanized pipe that the adjusting screw will fit down into...with a compression fitting to clamp onto the existing tube. I couldn't get the compression fitting to clamp down on the tube at first, but a couple of wraps of duct tape did the trick.

Like I said before, not correct, but it does work.

I wish I had a digital camera.

Plumber
Yes. I poked my finger on frayed cable anyway. >:(

Return to “Brakes”